"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have a crock pot cleaner...my husband. I find that if you just soak the crock overnight in soapy water, it's quite easy to clean up.
I'm not that crazy about the idea of cooking my food in plastic.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen

It's the same idea as those oven bags that you use for poultry. I really like that I can take the remaining food out, and just tie up the bag and refrigerate it.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Macaroni and cheese is a good one. So is chili. If you have recipes that require you to brown your ground beef you can do that when you bring it home, drain well, and freeze it that way.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

congrats and hugs lucy! cool, another new dc member is on the way.

to steal a page from irish nationalists: our victory wil be in the sound of the laughter of our children.

sorry i can't offer any recipes. i remember my wife lived on vanilla and chocolate soy milk, mochi ice cream, and lots of korean bbq.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:28 AM   #15
Head Chef

We freeze food for people all the time, and items like baked ziti, lasagna, and meat loaf work just fine, as other kind folk have posted.

Also, bacon, after being fried, will freeze well.

Just nuke it while you are frying or cooking some scrambled eggs and you have something to eat.

Or take the bacon and crumble it. Drain a can of mushrooms. Squeeze the water out of frozen, or canned, spinach. As you are scrambling some eggs add the bacon, a few mushrooms, and a bit of the spinach. It is very tasty and takes little time.

Scramble eggs and then add some shredded cheese.

In lieu of onions, just add a dash of Mrs. Dash.

Can always toss in some fried kielbasa or pieces or ham.

Can toss together an egg dish, with nuked bacon, and toasted English muffins, or toast, in less than ten minutes.

And then, hopefully, once in a while, you might get a chance to eat it, all at once.

For some reason, babies get to sleep all the time and Moms never get the chance to nod off.

God bless.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyr2xoxo
I was wondering if anyone has some ideas of meals that I can prepare and freeze. I'm having my first baby soon and I am the one who does all the cooking, so I am hoping to have a few weeks of meals on hand. Thank You!!!!
Lots of meals can be prepared ahead of time and frozen. Now, probably as important as anything else, are you planning on breast feeding? If so, then you are looking at a different diet. I assume you are getting prenatal care from an OB-GYN or Pediatrician - ask your Doctor or his/her nurse about the La Leche League in your area. They have information on what things a new mother should/should not eat. Even if you are not going to breastfeed - ask your Doctor about post partum diet/nutritional guidance.

This way - you'll have a better idea of what you should be planning to cook/freeze for consumption after the "blessed event" for your, and the baby's, health.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:32 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Soups, so many soups freeze well (depending on the recipe, some are best left un-pureed - if applicable - until after they have been unthawed). The veggies and meat for things like stir-fries and stews (if not the whole dish themselves) can be made up ahead of time and frozen. Hearty pasta dishes often freeze well too, rice dishes can be a little more hit and miss, but I'll had success with freezing things like fried rice and pilafs.

It's often the prep that requires the most amount of our attention when we cook so if it's possible for you (time, freezer space, budget, etc) it might be worth chopping and portioning things like vegetables, meat/fish, fruit and stock (freeze it in ice cube trays then pop out the frozen cubes and put them in a secure freezer-proof bag or container) before the little bundle of joy arrives.

Homemade breads, rolls, biscuits and scones often freeze excellently too and things like cookie dough and pizza crust dough freeze very well before they are cooked too.

Dont' want to sound for a moment like I'm stating the obvious, but remember to lable everything well (date, portion weight if applicable) and keep moving stuff from the back to the front of the freezer as you use it so that the oldest stuff gets used up first (or before it becomes too old).

Huge congratulations Lucy, and welcome to DC!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
Dont' want to sound for a moment like I'm stating the obvious, but remember to lable everything well (date, portion weight if applicable) and keep moving stuff from the back to the front of the freezer as you use it so that the oldest stuff gets used up first (or before it becomes too old).
Jessica, I have finally learned the hard way to label EVERYTHING. So often I've stuck something in the freezer, thinking I'd remember what it was.
When I had the greenhouses, I had more time for cooking in the winter, and would often make extra and freeze for use in the spring when I was so busy I was meeting myself coming and going. Sometimes HB would come home and want to know what was for supper, and I'd say, "Whatever's in the ziplock, honey."
As for keeping things sorted out in the deep freeze...all it takes is for my husband to go digging through there one time, and it's a jumbled mess. He is a wonderful man, but terribly untidy.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thank you everyone for all your great tips and your well wishes!!!!! I will definetly be using more than a few of these suggestions, also thanks for the advice regarding breast feeding and my diet, I never even thought of this. Again, a big thank you to all!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Jessica, I have finally learned the hard way to label EVERYTHING. So often I've stuck something in the freezer, thinking I'd remember what it was.
When I had the greenhouses, I had more time for cooking in the winter, and would often make extra and freeze for use in the spring when I was so busy I was meeting myself coming and going. Sometimes HB would come home and want to know what was for supper, and I'd say, "Whatever's in the ziplock, honey."
As for keeping things sorted out in the deep freeze...all it takes is for my husband to go digging through there one time, and it's a jumbled mess. He is a wonderful man, but terribly untidy.
Hi Constance, I like to lable everything (lol, yes I was that nerdy kid at camp who had their suitcase arranged and organized methodically) but know exactly what you mean about being married to an untidy man. DH isn't too messy, but it's always he who asks me where anything is in the house

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote