"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Meals that I can prepare and freeze?

I was wondering if anyone has some ideas of meals that I can prepare and freeze. I'm having my first baby soon and I am the one who does all the cooking, so I am hoping to have a few weeks of meals on hand. Thank You!!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Here's a great thread to get you started, lucy:

Does anyone do "Freezer Cooking"?

Also, don't forget that if you're nursing, omit all onions, broccoli, cauliflower, beans and other gassy foods or your little one will have tummy aches!

Congrats, btw!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to the world of soon to be no sleeping in? Seriously Congrats to you.
Lasgana would be a good one. I do that all the time. Since It is just two of us now. I make one ond freeze one. I cook noodles 1/2 way and then make it and freeze. also
I cooked a turkey ahead of time and slice the meat,make and freeze the gravy in small containers . boil up potatoes later and a veggie . you could even cook and mash the potatoes and freeze them. Spanish rice freezes well.
good luck
Old 01-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Congrats to you! I have a new son who will be a month old tomorrow. Welcome to dc and we hope you stick around! Soup was something I stocked up on. Also a chicken pot pie and lasanga. Good luck and hope it all goes smoothly for you!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Many congrats!

One of my favorite "soul food" recipes is easily frozen. I guess my version is soul food, as there are countless recipes for Shepherd's Pie. I keep it simple: cooked ground beef, creamed corn, and mashed potatoes, layered in that order, baked for about 30 minutes at 350. Each layer is just enough to cover the area of the pan used. That also makes this a very easy dish to reduce or increase depending on the number of servings needed.

Another soul food, layered dish I make is a cheesey chicken casserole. Cooked chicken (I use boneless breast, but whatever) cut up, swiss cheese (I prefer big eye), cream of chicken soup (or your favorite cream of soup), and prepared stuffing, layered in that order. Same time and temp as above, and just as easily modified to more or less servings.

I recommend a "catch pan" of some sort, as both of these will bubble quite a bit and may spill over the pan cooked in.

I have had both of them reheated from frozen, and they taste just as good, if not better (always the sign of a good casserole) then the first go round.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Here's a couple:

Spaghetti Sauce
Meatloaf
Sloppy Joe's
Stroganoff (I would do noodles just before serving)
Stacked Enchiladas (Red or Green or Both!)
Burritos (stuffing is endless, wrap in foil tightly,then freeze in ziplocs)
Chicken Pot Pie (Homemade with all kinds of veggies, and Beef pie too)
Egg Rolls
Calzones

I just do not like Pasta frozen....mine just turns too mushy after freezing, so I like to do it just before serving.

Congratulations BTW!
#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Congratulations! My son is 17 months now, and I still freeze! Don't forget the wonderful invention of the crock pot too! Use that to cook roasts, turkey breasts, and chickens - freeze the leftovers. Reynolds has a wonderful product out - crock pot liners, makes cleanup very easy! Congratulations!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

check our this broccoli cheese casserole, can't believe I forgot to mention it earlier! http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...eese+casserole
Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Master Chef

One suggestion: Get a big package of good ground chuck, and turn it into several meals:
Make up a meatloaf, and freeze it in the pan. When ready to eat, thaw, and put in the oven with baking potatoes. All you'll have to do is heat up a can of peas or corn to go with.
Make some into porkupines (meatballs with rice), freeze on cookie sheet, then put in ziplock bag.
Make some into patties for burgers or chopped steaks. For chopped steaks, season with mustard, Worchestershire sauce or Heinz 57. Wrap with bacon if you wish. Freeze same way as meatballs. Cook them the same way you would a steak.

Here's my recipe for Porkupines. It came from a B&H cookbook that is long out of print:

1 egg, beaten
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup long-grain white rice, OR
1/3 cup quick cooking rice for microwave version
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed

Combine egg, 1/4 cup of the soup, uncooked rice, onion powder and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 20 meatballs. Place in a large skillet. Mix the remaining soup with the Worchestershire sauce, oregano, and 1/2 cup water; pour over meatballs. Bring to boiling and reduce heat. Cover and simmer, stirring often, about 20 minutes, or until no pink remain in meat and rice is tender. Skim fat. Pass Parmesan cheese,if desired.

MICROWAVE INSTRUCTIONS *Recommended
Combine egg, 1/4 cup of the soup, 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking rice, the onion powder and pepper. Add beef. Mix well. Shape into 20 meatballs.In an 8x8x2 baking dish, micro-cook meatballs, covered, on high for 6 minutes, re-arranging once. Drain well. Mix the remaining soup with the Worchestershire sauce, oregano and 1/2 cup water. Pour over meatballs. Cook, covered, on high, stirring twice, for 3-5 minutes more, or until no pink remains in the meatnballs and rice is tender.

yield: 4 servings

*I wouldn't worry about that little bit of onion powder. I don't think it will give you nursing mothers a problem. My daughter actually ate pizza, and it didn't bother little Jesse. Maybe she was just lucky.

*My mother sometimes made the porkupines with cream of mushrooms soup instead of tomato. They were very good that way.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
..............Reynolds has a wonderful product out - crock pot liners, makes cleanup very easy!
Don't you just love those? They are a gift from heaven!!!