"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'm so glad someone posted this thread! I've tried making mexican rice, but haven't gotten it down yet. These tips should help.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Kayelle-- off the subject of the rice for a second . Just a note on your tomato paste, I can never find it in the tube in my area, What i do is - I brought a ice cube trays and divide the can up into tablespoon and place into the ice cube tray, when frozen take out and put in a freezer bag. works out great. I also do this with limes and lemons when the store has them on sale. zest them all and put one lemon zest into each ice cube department and then i juice them and put the juice of one lemon into the ice cube dept. the last thing is make sure you don't use the trays for anything else. i forgot and made ice - came out with a tomato taste.
By the way thanks for the recipe going to try it this week.
Good idea. I used to do this also before I found the "tube paste". I'm getting kind of lazy lately, but it's much more economical to do it your way. As with anything else, those convenient items can get pricey. I have my own wonderful Meyer lemon tree, (lucky me) and I sure use that method for those.
Hope you enjoy the recipe.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Senior Cook

i like to kick it up a notch when i cook mexican rice, its more of a meal for me than a side dish. i just toss rice, browned ground meat, tomatoe sauce, mexican chili powder, lots of garlic, can of red or black beans, can of olives, can of corn, and cheese. i like to think of it as a mexican fried rice.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

My mother used to work in a kitchen. To make a lot of rice this is what they did. Cook rice a nite before, just like you would for chinese fried rice. Undecook slightly. sautee some onions and red bell peppers. Fry the rice in a little bit of oil, add sauteed stuf and a spoon or two of tomatoe paste. If you like it spicy add some hot sause to it. Done.
They would have all ingredients prpared and then they would fry as much as they needed according to orders.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
My mother used to work in a kitchen. To make a lot of rice this is what they did. Cook rice a nite before, just like you would for chinese fried rice. Undecook slightly. sautee some onions and red bell peppers. Fry the rice in a little bit of oil, add sauteed stuf and a spoon or two of tomatoe paste. If you like it spicy add some hot sause to it. Done.
They would have all ingredients prpared and then they would fry as much as they needed according to orders.
If the rice is undercooked, frying it in oil is just going to make it even crunchier than it already is. You've got to have some sort of liquid, right? I'm assuming you just missed this. I think it would be hard to determine how much liquid to use for the first cooking, then how much to use for finishing without either undercooking or overcooking the rice.

I think in general, to make mexican rice, you have to have mexican flavors. Find out whatever mexican flavors you like and add them... cumin, chilies, chili powder, cilantro, tomatoes, etc.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

I said slightly undercoked. The liquid is in tomato sause. And I do it all the time when I make fried rice or this so called "mexican" rice. When you add liquid during frying rice sucks it in and taste just perfect.

I probably should mention that by "undrcook" I mean about 2 minutes less than normal. Like for example I know that rice I use cooks exactly 20 minutes after boiling, so I cook for 18 minutes.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Head Chef

Open box of Goya Mexican Rice.. follow directions!
LOLOLOL!
ACtually, I add sauteed peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and sometimes fresh
cilantro.
:)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
I said slightly undercoked. The liquid is in tomato sause. And I do it all the time when I make fried rice or this so called "mexican" rice. When you add liquid during frying rice sucks it in and taste just perfect.

I probably should mention that by "undrcook" I mean about 2 minutes less than normal. Like for example I know that rice I use cooks exactly 20 minutes after boiling, so I cook for 18 minutes.
This makes sense. The other day I made some fried rice, and it tasted good but was puffy and overcooked. So undercooking it initially sounds like a good tip.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:

Oh, you said tomato paste, not tomato sauce. Your instructions didn't have any liquids. And a "spoon or two" of even tomato sauce probably wouldn't be enough liquid, actually. I'm not trying to be critical, just for people who may be newer cooks, your instructions can be a little confusing.

Anyway, I still think it's too much trouble if you're just going to make some for dinner. Your method would be fine for a restaurant serving gallons of it and it needs to be hot on the plate at different times throughout the night, but if you're having it for dinner, might as well finish those last 2 minutes.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

Kayelle --- Made your rice tonight with a little change, i saute a small onion and a green pepper chopped up then added the rice cooked it for the min or 2 and then the cumin and tomato paste and instead of water i added chicken broth instead
came out great and is delious. thanks alot.