Miscellaneous leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
OK, here's what I'm thinking of doing.........

Thaw a sheet of puff pastry, cut into squares, stuff into large muffin tins
puree leftover roasted sweet potatoes (about a cupful, more or less), spoonful into each pastry "shell"
top with leftover shredded ham
bake at temp recommended for pastry.

does this sound edible? will the ham dry out? should I put it in first instead?

Also, I have about six cups of buckytom's crockpot onion soup left. I was thinking of either freezing it or trying to make a reduction with some of it to pour over chicken and rice for another meal.

Please deposit your two cents here. Thanks.

Ooh! Yum!

I'd put the ham in the bottom and top with the yams, being pretty certain that it would dry out, too.

You'll end up with a pretty cup, too, putting the puff pastry in the muffin cups. Should be big on the Wow Scale... I usually cut an even number of rounds with a large biscuit cutter, then cut rounds out of half of those using a smaller biscuit cutter to make "side walls", then cook on a cookie sheet. Your idea is a heck of a lot simpler!

The onion soup will freeze and reduce well -- fabulously frugal idea there, bug!

Audeo, thanks for confirming my hunch. Ham will go in first. I'm thinking the pastry (WOW factor) will make the others forget we are having leftovers again.

Gonna go divvy up that soup in appropriate containers now. Buckytom, if you're reading this, your sis's soup was a big hit with the Hens.

Anything to use this stuff up. I truly madly deeply hate wasting food when I don't have to.

I think I would cover it with pastry too. Decorate by scoring. Give the top an egg wash. You need to cut vent holes in the top. Lets out the steam, yet the insides will remain moist.

Just to get back with a report for Leaf Storm - it turned out OK, but not wonderful. Kinda dry. I did mix up the chopped ham with some Dijon mustard to add a little moisture, but still..... I still think it's a good idea for using leftovers and will experiment further when I have the right ingredients again.

p.s. to psiguyy - your recommendation probably would have helped, but I only had one sheet of pastry.

mudbug said:
Just to get back with a report for Leaf Storm - it turned out OK, but not wonderful. Kinda dry. I did mix up the chopped ham with some Dijon mustard to add a little moisture, but still..... I still think it's a good idea for using leftovers and will experiment further when I have the right ingredients again.

p.s. to psiguyy - your recommendation probably would have helped, but I only had one sheet of pastry.

You could have made one big one. Just put the filling on one side and fold over the other side, seal the three edges with water and a fork. Serve by cutting big slices out of it.

marmalady, yes it did. I used a big muffin tin (1-cup capacity for each muffin). Divided one rolled-out sheet of pastry into 6 squares, stuffed in tin, added ham, and spread potatoes over top. Baked at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom