Mustard: Do you use it for recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely!! Mustard is wonderful to cook with. Coat meat with it, make a basting sauce, flavor sauces... Great stuff!!

I use different mustards for different things .... and I think everyone has already covered most of my uses .... except for potato salad, a macaroni salad I make some times, and a creole crab-cake recipe I haven't thought about in years. For Thanksgiving ... only thing I will use it for is deviled eggs ... until we break out the leftover ham for sammies later on ....

Dijon is always in my vinagrette for salad. Amy's sauce above is really good on green beans too and/or small boiled potatoes.
Not this year, but many years for Christmas, I make a variety of mustards for my family members that love different kinds. They always love that gift.

deviled egg dip

I use different mustards for different things .... and I think everyone has already covered most of my uses .... except for potato salad, a macaroni salad I make some times, and a creole crab-cake recipe I haven't thought about in years. For Thanksgiving ... only thing I will use it for is deviled eggs ... until we break out the leftover ham for sammies later on ....

i have a grandson that loves deviled eggs. always make em for him on thanksgiving. as u no doubt know they are very labor intensive.

this years made it with cream cheese, mayo. mustard , salt pepper u get idea and served as a dip with fritos. big hit, have been asked to bring for christmas day.

babetoo

I have 6=8 different mustards in my pantry all of the time and make 6-7 more from formulas I have found over the years. I have yet to find one I don't like. My favorite ones are the more robust types. Would be glad to share my formulas just ask

The red and white mustard seed I use course cracked in paste rubs or marinades. the white more so if it seems good to keep a purer white color in a sauce or it looks like it would detract from fish. For the same reason I have the white, black and red peppercorms.

The powderd Colemans mustard, and others already mentioned get used regularly. The only reason that the brightly colored ordinary yellow mustard is in the refrigerator is the grandchildren like it.

I like it in deviled eggs. Found that they are a little easier for me to make if I pack the deviled egg in the cookie press and shoot the mix into the egg white half. It reduces my breaking the white and the star tip adds a flair to the devil egg.

DAVE PLEASE post your formulas!!!

I use a mustard glaze on my turkey for Christmas

For glaze
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
Bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.

Brush glaze over turkey, before cooking , and I brush more glaze during cooking

i was wondering if anyone here uses mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in their recipes? now that Thanksgiving is almost coming is going to use mustard for their recipes?

i love mustard... especially when combined with puff pastry or pie dough. it put it in all my quiches and tarlets and often in any cream sauces ill make to accompany meats

i was wondering if anyone here uses mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in their recipes? now that Thanksgiving is almost coming is going to use mustard for their recipes?

Try this:
Make a paste of chopped flat-leaf parsley, olive oil, coarse stone-ground mustard, and garlic powder. Apply about a 1/4 inch thick coat to a boneless pork loin roast. Put in 400 degree oven, uncovered, for about 15 minutes to set coating. Reduce heat to 250 degrees, cover roast and cook several hours. And use the juice to make gravy for mashed potatoes. Incredibly yummy.

Uses for Mustard

Like many who have posted here, I use Dijon for many things, and typical "prepared" mustard for very little.

Dijon goes well in French Onion Soup, right after the final deglazing of the onions with white wine.

Salad dressings also benefit from mustard, as it helps the oil and vinegar mix and stay mixed (plus it adds flavor!).

As part of a glaze for ham, or other pork roasts, or for slathering over a salmon as well.

:)When I used to make alot of prime rib at the lodge I worked at I would put a thick layer of dijon all over the top and the sides then cover with cracked black pepper and granulated garlic.So simple but they came out very tasty especially the ends.

And I thought I was over-doing it by keeping three kinds of mustard in my fridge! Dave, EIGHT different kinds? Plus homemade formulations? Wow.

I typically keep basic "yellow" mustard for the kids, and to make potato salad with. I also keep Dijon mustard for me, as well as some Zatarain's Creole Mustard. I've also worked with a REAL whole-grain mustard, as the mix was just mustard seeds mixed with a hint of vinegar and other liquids.

I've used mustard as a coating for pork, beef, and lamb. I've also made a mustard-crusted, pan-seared salmon dish, where the salmon fillet is covered with whole mustard seeds, then pan-seared. The seeds imbed themselves into the fish, and give it a unique flavor, although many of the members at work weren't to thrilled about it.

I use mustard as a glaze base for ham, I use mustard as an emulsifier in salad dressings (and what great flavor it gives!) I use mustard to give a grilled cheese sandwich a bit of zip

I also like mustard on my fries, my burger, my dog, my ham n cheese sand, a bit in my potato salad dressing...etc

Hi to everyone,
Mustard - one of my favourite ingredients. For me it has to be included in a cheese sauce! I use 1 rounded teaspoon (per pint of milk) of smooth french mustard. When making my mayonnaise I always include some french mustard - again smooth french added to the yolks, S&P and sugar before I start adding the oil.

Herrings brushed with french mustard before grilling/broiling - the sharpness of the mustard cuts into the oiliness of the fish.

An old Scottish dish, Partan Pie uses mustard - this is basically a devilled crab with the "hot" ingredients being mustard, Worcestershire sauce and a dash of tabasco sauce. The crab is served hot in the shell.

I would add a pinch of dry English mustard to a cheese pastry/straws or biscuits. By the way, traditionally, WELSH RAREBIT is made with ale as the liquid ingredient - it is the UK version of the Swiss Fondue and thus the ale replace the Kirsch.
French mustard added to a cream sauce goes well with pork chops.

Oh, just had another thought, a pinch of dry mustard added to cheese scones improves the flavour as it does in a cheese bread or cheese and walnut loaf.

Oh dear, now you`ve set me thinking - I feel a baking day creeping up on me.

All the best,
Archiduc

I've found that mustard adds something special to recipes where you would not expect mustard. Nearly any kind of salad, dressing, meats... the secret is not to overdo it. You should not taste the mustard. It should be that people will say, "there was something good in that, but I don't know exactly what".

when you refer to French mustard, I assume you're referring to dijon mustard and not the brand name French's mustard.

Hi there,
I hope this works and I`m doing the right thing - but that I mean hitting the right buttons etc.

Many thanks for your reply, I think you`ve just taught me an important point re. conversations between the UK and this forum when it comes to discussing foods.

You are absolutely correct. I am referring to Dijon mustard which most here would call french mustard or by a brand name. the one I`m using at the moment is Maille, although I also use store brand Dijon mustard. I haven`t seen French`s in my neck of the woods (Scotland) but I can see how some confusion may arise.

Thanks again,
Archiduc

mustard making

HI again,

Yes, I have tried making mustards.

In the UK it is possible to buy dry mixes as the basis for making quite a variety. Amongst the ones that I`ve tried horseradish mustard and apple and horseradish have been my favourites. They were very easy to make and made great presents for friends and family.

I`m not sure whether I`m allowed to name the company but the company name is Foxes Spices or Fox`s Spices - can`t remember which.

Do you have any good recipes which you`d be willing to share?

All the best,
Archiduc

mustard recipes

here's a really delicious one courtesy of one of my favorite cookbooks "Better Than Storebought" byHelen Witty and Elizabeth Colchie. This book was published in the 70's and now you can find it on the web for over $100, used of course. Anyway their Green peppercorn mustard.
3 T mustard seeds
1/3 c. dry mustard
1/2 c. hot tap water1/2 white wine vinegar
1/2 c. dry white wine or dry white vermouth
pinch of cinnamon
1/2 t. dried tarragon, crubled
1/2 t. dill seed
2 t. kosher salt
pinch of ground cloves
1 t. honey
1 T green peppercorns (drained water-packed or freeze-dried. more if desired)

1. mix together the mustard seeds, dry mustard, water and vinegar let stand 3 hours or more
2. in small saucepan, bring to boil the wine, cinnamon, tarragon, dill seed, salt, and cloves, Strain into the mustard mixture and stir. Add hone and green peppercorns
3. Scrape into a food processor or blender and whirl to puree.
4. transfer to the top of double boiler over simmering water. Cook for 10 min. stirring often. It will thicken as it cools. Crush a few more peppercorns slightly and add for texture.
5. put into jar, cool and refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom