My first try with transglutaminase (aka "meat glue")!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Okay, a while back I found a place that offered 50 gram packages of some of the MG items normally sold in bulk to restaurants. One of the things they sold was ACTIVA RM. This is a mixture of caseine, tg and maltodextrin. The stuff is an enzyme that creates a covalent bond between protein molecules, resulting an a "weld" that makes essentially one chunk. If this sounds scary, almost everyone here has probably eaten it before- surimi, fake crab sticks and flakes, couldn't be made without the stuff.

At any rate I wound up buying a couple packs and finally got the chance to try it tonite. I had about a 2.5 lb piece of flank steak that I bought on sale, and figured it would be a good thing to try. Now most of you know that flank is very tasty but very, very thin. You have to cook it on high heat and just briefly or it's gonna be overcooked. So I decided to make a roll of it.

I started by laying it out on my cutting board and cutting a lengthwise strip off the edge (with the grain). I then sprinkled the powder on all surfaces of the strip, then on the entire remaining portion. It really looks and feels like cornstarch, light and very fine powder. I rolled it as tightly as I could, but the one problem I had is that the only cling film I had was the short 10" roll, not the 18" wide stuff I use at work. Basically I think I got it rolled up tight enough to work, but we'll see.

Anyways, then it's into the fridge to set. The stuff will activate below 50 F over a few hours, achieving the maximum bond overnight. With luck, if I used the right amount :)rofl:) and rolled it tightly enough I'll have a chunk of flank with the form factor of a beef tenderloin. If it works I'll probably cook half of it sous vide @ 130 F and cook the rest conventionally (on the gas grill, probably).

I'll let you all know how the experiment went tomorrow!:sorcerer:

Okay. This is going to be one of those threads that leads off into food adventures.

I first took a look on amazon for transglutaminase. Found it, but also found a bunch of molecular gastronomy tools, as well as other things the search engine thought it should throw out. Let's see.

Artistre' products. artistre.info
The most interesting to me were spherification, flavoring, and carbonation tools. The carbonation tool is simply a powdered and flavorless version of "Pop Rocks" to add fizzle. The flavoring area was of more interest. Cooking for two, powdered coconut milk and powdered heavy cream might be worth looking at as shelf-stable forms. Spherification I need to read more on and think about.

Then, chili threads popped up. Shredded chili pods for garnishing. Hadn't run into these before, not knowingly. But reading comments on them from around the Internet, I suspect I'll be trying them. Kind of pricey, though. I find no published instructions for making them. Might be a worthy experiment, because I suspect it would be nice to have them made from a few different peppers. Maybe use a zester and then dry them over smoke.

Amazon only had meat glue in kg bags. But following some links, I found some in 50g bags for $13 at Transglutaminase (Meat Glue) .

Some of the more rational things that occur to me are bonding the bacon wrapping onto scallops or filets so that they stay put during cooking and cutting. I could also imagine creating meat tubes to be stuffed that would stay connected as tubes during cooking or binding a protein filler to the tube to treat it as one piece. Some of the less rational and more Robot Chicken like thoughts would be like making everyone happy by gluing chicken drumsticks onto the sides of a beef roast.

My advice: whatever you do, DO NOT attempt this on a night with thunder storms and lightning, and particularly DO NOT fly a kite with wire instead of string and connect the wire to your cooking pot.

You were warned! :)

Rob, could you use this stuff on humans to, um... like, glue parts, um, you know, together... Just curious, you know, scientifically, that is.

Maybe somebody should try using Superglue. I've heard of cyanoacrylate being used as a surgical adhesive instead of stitches, so it probably wouldn't be that bad for you.

(Kids, you read this on the Internet. Anybody can post anything they want on the Internet so please don't try this at home!)

Back
Top Bottom