Mystery Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
Due to a pesky posting error I couldn't post this in the Casseroles discussion. My friend remembers part of a casserole recipe she used to make. She liked it because it was flavorful and easy. You put crumbled RAW hamburger in a 9x13 pan and top with cubed potatoes, onions and other stuff. It uses tomato JUICE not sauce or paste. You would stir it periodically. Anyone ever make something like this? If so, I need the recipe.

Due to a pesky posting error I couldn't post this in the Casseroles discussion. My friend remembers part of a casserole recipe she used to make. She liked it because it was flavorful and easy. You put crumbled RAW hamburger in a 9x13 pan and top with cubed potatoes, onions and other stuff. It uses tomato JUICE not sauce or paste. You would stir it periodically. Anyone ever make something like this? If so, I need the recipe.
I'm assuming "hamburger" is ground beef?(Bear with me I'm a foreigner)

I'd sweat off the onions in a little oil, butter or whatever you prefer and then brown the meat in a skillet or sauté pan. You can do the rest of the cooking in the same skillet/sauté pan rather than the 9x13. I'd add some garlic, herbs (fresh or dried), salt and pepper, possibly a glug of Worcestershire sauce. I usually add a small amount of sugar to anything with tomato juice or passata or tinned toms - not enough to make the dish taste sweet but just enough to take the tartness off the tomatoes.

You could add the potatoes with grated carrots, sliced or chopped bell peppers, mushrooms, finely chopped celery, or anything you've got lurking in the 'fridge. Cook everything together until the meat is cooked and the veg tender.

Perhaps you could vary the flavour with chili seasoning or curry powder or a little wine or stock (cube, jelly pot or bottled stock if you don't have home made)

I'd serve it with rice or pasta or just as is with or without crusty bread as it has potatoes in it already.

Hope some of this helps.

Hi Ghodur,
it actually sounds familiar.... I have a "make ahead cookbook" which it might be in.

give me a bit and I'll check it out and let you know.

was not in the first two books I checked but the third one had this. Not exactly what I remember but it might do - you don't even have to stir, just stuff it in the oven.
It also uses rice - not potatoes

3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1.1/2 tsp salt
Dash Pepper
2 - 8 oz cans seasoned tomato sauce
1 cup hot water - for these 2 ingredients you can use your tomato juice, spiced up!
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup copped green pepper
1 lb gound beef
1 tsp salt
1 - 12 oz can (1.1/2 cups) whole kernel corn, drained (or peas or whatever is in the fridge/freezer!)
2 to 3 tps chili powder
4 slices bacon

So you will be layering everything into an ungreased 2 quart casserole. Start with the uncooked rice, sprinkle s & p, pour 1/2 the tomato sauce (1 can) plus the hot water, then layer the onion & green pepper, add the ground beef nicely layered, sprinkle with salt, top with corn. Add the chili powder to the last can of tomato sauce and pour over... last put a top with the bacon slices.

Cover & bake at 375 F (moderate oven) for 1 hour; uncover and bake another 15 minutes or till the rice is done.

You could garnish with tomato slices , top with green pepper rings, crisp bacon curls??? Enough for 5 to 6 servings.

I made this once or twice centuries ago. Loved you could put it together and then forget it. Was pretty good.

Not exactly what you were asking for but hope it gives you something to work on.

Well,you've sold it to me MC. I was wondering how to ring the changes with some venison mince I've got for dinner tonight.
Thank you............sorted x

FWIW I found a casserole recipe using raw hamburger and potatoes and it said to cook for 1-1/2 hours at 350F, until the potatoes are done. It did not have the tomato juice. Others I found that used tomato juice used cooked burger.
I think you can pretty much wing this one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom