"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need to take a dish to a family...

One of my daughter's classmate's g'father passed away. My children will eat anything, although I know some children are pretty picky. I was looking for something pretty easy, possibly in a crockpot and can't include ground beef since the little girl won't eat that. Any ideas or what would YOU bring?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
In our family, Noodle Pudding is a fairly standard dish to take to a condolence call. It's kind of a cross between savory and sweet, and is usually served as a side dish for roasted meat. However when we were kids, we often ate it as a main dish.

I can post a recipe for mine this evening, if you like.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Cake, Pie, Banana Pudding.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieKate View Post
One of my daughter's classmate's g'father passed away. My children will eat anything, although I know some children are pretty picky. I was looking for something pretty easy, possibly in a crockpot and can't include ground beef since the little girl won't eat that. Any ideas or what would YOU bring?
Fresh snapped green beans, ham and potatoes, Beef stew, Vegetable soup, (pick your meat) and noodles.

Good solid comfort foods are nice for occasions like this.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Scalloped ham and potatoes
or
some good beef soup. Both can be warmed up easily and both taste great.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Whatever you choose to bring, make sure you deliver it in a disposable container. The family will have enough to deal with after things settle down. Trying to remember or keep track of which dish/casserole/container belongs to whom can be challenging.

Also, chances are they may be flooded with food. I know that's a common situation here. That's why I usually give something that can be put into the freezer and eaten at a later date.

One thing folks fail to bring are things to drink. You might consider bringing coffee, tea, sodas, milk, or other beverages.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Kids (and everyone else) love mashed potatoes and gravy. Katie's suggestion is a good one - drinks are usually overlooked. I don't know the age of your daughter's classmate but if they are younger, juice boxes would probably be very welcome, too. And disposable plates, cups, etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Chicken noodle soup, made with a whole chicken, cut up into 8 pieces.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

We make a dish called sausage & baked bean casserole which my kids adore & it is good enough for adults as well. I will post the recipe if you would like it.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Head Chef

Sorry, I don't know how I got into this format but cannot get out.

This dish is good for both kids and adults. Have posted this before but will do it again because it is comfort food and that is what I believe you want. And if you use pre-shredded cheese, it can be ready for the oven in about ten minutes.

Have made too many dishes for funereal gatherings and agree with Katie's suggestion about disposible everything. The family does not want or shold not need to keep track of that sorta stuff.

Oh yeah, and will emphasize the drinks. People bring all kind of great food but suddenly the family realizes there are not enough drinks and the last thing one wants is to put them in any added stress. We size up the stuff available and make a run for soda, beer, milk, juice, whatever is needed.

Oh yes, and clean up. A few minutes by a few hard working committed folks can really make the day a lot easier.

This is just a chili dog casserole but it will not last long.

- 1 pkg. hot dog buns
- 1 large onion, finely diced and sauteed (or not, I prefer it raw - your choice)
- 2 (1 lb.) pkgs. hot dogs, cut into inch slices (recommend Oscar Meyer, like the flavor in this, but any will do nicely)
- 5 (15 oz) cans chili with beans (Hormel works fine)
- lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- lb. yellow cheddar, shredded

Separate and lightly toast the buns.
Heat the hot dog slices and chili in a saucepan until bubbling.

Oil a 10 x 15 inch oiled pan or something about that size.

Place the toasted buns in the pan, cut side up, and top with the onions.

Spoon the warmed chili mixture over the buns.
Sprinkle on first the remaining onions and then the shredded cheeses.

If desired, you can top the cheeses with hot sauce, salsa or taco sauce or even sliced black olives.

Bake until the cheese is melted and golden and the chili is bubbling (about 20 min.).

Let rest for 10-15 min.

We don't make this very often because it goes too fast and we don't need all that food. On a cold January weekend it is lucky to make it to Sunday noon. but with kids, and most adults, it is a real hit.