"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New Cook

(i Just posted this in the introduction section, i was lost. Sorry!)
I'm new here BECAUSE like my title says, cooking was NOT interesting :/

My moms Mexican and cooks delicious food! But it never changed. So it just bore :|
I recently got married (age 20) and my husband and I like to cook once in a while but mostly, because we live with his parents, his mother does the cooking. I know. Oh no. Bad housewife! But my mother never taught me anything about food. I learn as I go but never DARE going in the kitchen! I was wondering if anyone has the simplest recipe but yummy I can make for this years Thanksgiving! :) I want to surprise everyone and I have a feeling I can find someone in here who can help.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What kinds of food do you guys usually have at Thanksgiving? What do other people usually bring?

Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I got this off the back of a can of 3 bean salad. It's really quite good. You might want to double it if you have a big group.

Kicked Up 3 Bean Salad

1 15 oz. can of 3 bean salad, drained
1 c each diced fresh red and green pepper
2 T finely minced fresh parsley
1 c chopped red onion
1/2 c white vinegar
1/3 c sugar
1/2 c oil
Ground pepper to taste

Heat vinegar, sugar, and onion. Cool. Stir in oil. Pour over remaining ingredients. Mix and chill.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Head Chef

Because you're new and asking, I'll give you one that's three generations old in my family but that I'll bet your family has never been served. It's dead easy and travels well, to boot. It's a salad.

One head of cauliflower. Break it down into small florets. Use enough cauliflower to make about 3/4 of what you want the total amount to be.

Celery, chopped about 1/4". Use enough to give it a place of prominence in the salad, but distinctly less than the cauliflower.

Sliced pitted green olives. Enough that every serving gets some.

Sliced pitted black olives, as above. Good kalamata or nicoise olives will be much superior to common cheap canned variety.

Walnut pieces. Again, enough that every serving gets some.

Garlic. It will stand lots of garlic. Diced small.

Dice pimento. Again, every serving should get a few pieces, Give the salad some color, too.

Oil. Should be a fairly light oil with little taste of its own. Extra light olive olive oil works, but virgin or extra virgin has too much of its own taste. Just enough to dampen without leaving a lot in the bottom of the bowl.

Good vinegar. White wine vinegar or white Balsamic vinegar. The Balsamic will lend a sweeter taste to the salad. Also just enough to taste it.

Toss everything. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. That's to let the garlic infuse the whole salad. It also slightly marinates the vegetables.

You can make it your own by varying quantities. Just taste as you go or make a small batch to try. I bet they'll ask you bring it from now on, and they won't be thinking you got the recipe off a can.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hey! Don't knock the back of the can recipes! Easy, and TNT.

Interesting recipe, btw, GLC!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hey! Don't knock the back of the can recipes! Easy, and TNT.

Interesting recipe, btw, GLC!
I've made that same bean dish and it's really, really yummy. And, it's nice and colorful.