"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Sous Chef

New love: Roasted pepper spread

I have long been in love with roasted red pepper aioli. I don't make it often though because I want to put it on everything and it's basically mayonnaise with a roasted rwd pepper, a clove or two of fresh garlic and a bit of lemon juice.

I always make some when I make corned beef and cabbage though becausr I love to substitute it for thousand island on a reuben made with the leftovers, so I made some Saturday. Well, I've now found a reduced guilt version. I mixed about a tablespoon in with about 1/4 cup plain yogurt and fell in love. It makes a wonderful veggie dip, it's great on an egg sandwich, it tasted even better on my reuben and I even used some with my corned beef and cabbage meal. It cut the saltiness of the meal quite nicely. I also used it to make some tuna salad this afternoon and it tasted great. It's not perfectly healthy, but much better than the original. I think I'll sub yogurt for some of the mayonnaise or egg and oil (depending on how I'm making it) next time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Head Chef

OH My Goodness! that certainly sounds delish.

Copied and noted!
Thanks!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

This has been one of my go-to recipes that involves roasted peppers:

https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/Recipe...&recipeID=1319

I've used cream cheese instead of the goat cheese and it works great.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds delish, Sprout! I like to make roasted red pepper hummus. Just add the equivalent of one roasted red pepper. I whiz it in the food processor to make it easier.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Did someone mention Roasted Red Peppers? Love 'em! Thanks, Sprout!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I have long been in love with roasted red pepper aioli. I don't make it often though because I want to put it on everything and it's basically mayonnaise with a roasted rwd pepper, a clove or two of fresh garlic and a bit of lemon juice.

I always make some when I make corned beef and cabbage though becausr I love to substitute it for thousand island on a reuben made with the leftovers, so I made some Saturday. Well, I've now found a reduced guilt version. I mixed about a tablespoon in with about 1/4 cup plain yogurt and fell in love. It makes a wonderful veggie dip, it's great on an egg sandwich, it tasted even better on my reuben and I even used some with my corned beef and cabbage meal. It cut the saltiness of the meal quite nicely. I also used it to make some tuna salad this afternoon and it tasted great. It's not perfectly healthy, but much better than the original. I think I'll sub yogurt for some of the mayonnaise or egg and oil (depending on how I'm making it) next time!

I often mix yoghourt with mayo as I think it lightens it (and it reduces to calorie content when I'm trying to lose a bit). Will definitely have a go with your red pepper dip next time I have guests to feed.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sounds delish, Sprout! I like to make roasted red pepper hummus. Just add the equivalent of one roasted red pepper. I whiz it in the food processor to make it easier.
I still haven't ever made red pepper hummus. I don't know why. I need to. There's really no excuse for me!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepper, roast