New (to me) Cast Iron!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
I'm so excited! I was able to barter some stuff I haven't used in years for some cast iron pans. I traded a tv tray set for a no name 10" skillet/dutch oven combo. Then I traded the same guy a mini freezer for a 15" Lodge skillet and 2 sleeping bags! I've cleaned them all up and re-seasoned them. The 15" skillet (big baby) I have found takes 2 burners on the ceramic cooktop to heat it though. I used big baby to cook a 5.5 lb stuffed pork roast, and it just barely fit in that huge skillet! Can't wait to make a chicken or something in the dutch oven.

Anyone know how to tell the age of the 15" skillet? On the underside it says 14SK. I notice that there are Lodge 15" skillets on Amazon that are labelled 14SK3.

hope you've cleaned & seasoned the sleeping bags too!
don't wash the cast iron,just wipe it out after use.i've got a set of three victors,had them for years & they are now as non stick as a...well...non stick pan!
great for starting grub on the hob & finishing in the oven but watch those handles!

I've had a 10" skillet for a few years. But maybe I am missing something. Tips?

No, you probably got it down then.
When you said it was new to you, I figured you meant it was your first CI ever and they take a little bit of getting used to coming from regular pans.

No, you probably got it down then.
When you said it was new to you, I figured you meant it was your first CI ever and they take a little bit of getting used to coming from regular pans.

They sure do! And the most important thing I believe is the cleaning and care of them after each use. I've found that if I take them right from the stove top and rinse them in hot water they pretty much wipe out very easily.

Please feel free to scrub them with soap when needed after they are seasoned. And use them on your ceramic stove.

Let's clip the wives tails in their tracks.

Please feel free to scrub them with soap when needed after they are seasoned. And use them on your ceramic stove.

Let's clip the wives tails in their tracks.

When do they need to be scrubbed with soap? I've only mine on a ceramic cooktop. It's ok as long as you don't drop the pans. And 2 hands at all times on the big 15" skillet over the cooktop.

Man, I have abused my cast iron pans...burned food in them, boiled them clean, scrubbed them with soapy water...can't hurt 'em. I just picked up a third Wagner 9" chefs skillet, this one rusty in some spots and crusted with carbon in others. Put it in a pot of water with some vinegar and boiled it for an hour, scrubbed it with a choreboy and scraped a little, dried it, oiled and baked it and it's better'n new. Fried eggs and omelets just slide around in it like nobody's business. As long as you know how to clean and cure CI, it is very forgiving. I mean, it's cast iron.

gadzooks said:
Man, I have abused my cast iron pans...burned food in them, boiled them clean, scrubbed them with soapy water...can't hurt 'em. I just picked up a third Wagner 9" chefs skillet, this one rusty in some spots and crusted with carbon in others. Put it in a pot of water with some vinegar and boiled it for an hour, scrubbed it with a choreboy and scraped a little, dried it, oiled and baked it and it's better'n new. Fried eggs and omelets just slide around in it like nobody's business. As long as you know how to clean and cure CI, it is very forgiving. I mean, it's cast iron.

You are so right! I have taken a CI pan that was completely rusted and brought it back to life! I also had a pan that was well seasoned for years and one of the kids put it in the dishwasher! :(. It was way too clean, but came back to life and is as good as it was before.

Back
Top Bottom