"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Head Chef

My Mother's brown gravy I've tried and tried and tried---- the old fashioned way. Always lumpy---- so much so that a video of Thanksgiving dinner (long ago) with me pouring 'gravy' out of the gravy boat is the stuff of legends and guffawing.

It didn't help that the gravy boat was a ceramic rooster and the lumps came out the beak. LOL

Don't bother sending me tips on how to make perfect gravy. (grinning fondly)---- since the advent of Wondra I can make decent brown gravy.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
My Mother's brown gravy I've tried and tried and tried---- the old fashioned way. Always lumpy---- so much so that a video of Thanksgiving dinner (long ago) with me pouring 'gravy' out of the gravy boat is the stuff of legends and guffawing.

It didn't help that the gravy boat was a ceramic rooster and the lumps came out the beak. LOL

Don't bother sending me tips on how to make perfect gravy. (grinning fondly)---- since the advent of Wondra I can make decent brown gravy.
I have never made a lumpy gravy. Thanks to my mother. Shake some flour, water and Gravy Master in a lidded jar like you are convulsing. Pour slowly into juices while stirring. Nary a lump in more than 50 years of cooking.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have never made a lumpy gravy. Thanks to my mother. Shake some flour, water and Gravy Master in a lidded jar like you are convulsing. Pour slowly into juices while stirring. Nary a lump in more than 50 years of cooking.
I either make a slurry of cornstarch and water, or a brown roux for my gravy. Both methods are absolutely foolproof. Although I have one of my blood who can't seem to get the roux to turn into smooth gravy. Oh, wait, scratch that. She was successful. last time she tried.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I either make a slurry of cornstarch and water, or a brown roux for my gravy. Both methods are absolutely foolproof. Although I have one of my blood who can't seem to get the roux to turn into smooth gravy. Oh, wait, scratch that. She was successful. last time she tried.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Over the years I go back and revisit the cornstarch system. It works fine, but later breaks down and separates. I have never had that problem with the flour.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Master Chef

If I could have anything from years past, from either parents, or grandparents, it would be my Mom's chili, or anything else she made (except for her tough as leather steaks) as she was an excellent cook, or my Dad's boiled dinner, or pan-fried steaks, oh, wait, his goulash was the best ever, or my Grandpa's country-fried steak, or his waffles (they were all pretty good cooks. Of course pancakes from any one of them.

You should have seen me and Sprout on Thanksgiving day. It was time to take the bird's temperature. To my dismay, the coals had burned down until there was just a hint of fire left. Sprout came outside, into the snowy cold yard, to help me put in more charcoal and reignite the fire. We blew on the separate piles for a good twenty minutes to turn the tiny bit of hot charcoal into something that would cook a turkey. Sometimes, in our focused effort, we found ourselves blowing on the same side of the grill, each blowing smoke into the others face. We sure did smell like smoke by the time the coals were again hot. I expect that when we were finished, we looked like chimney sweeps from Mary Poppins.

It's all good though. And with the other challenges of the day, we still had a great time, a great meal, and a whole lot of fun.

Always remember, challenges are there to help you learn to solve problems. You are smarter after you solve them, and so are a better person because of them. If you refuse to be beaten, and insist on having a great time, no matter what, then you can overcome almost anything, and have that great time, especially when you have a Sprout in the house, and two mini-Sprouts.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Ya know, I can't think of anything. My mom was a good enough cook (except when she cooked liver), but I can't even remember her having a signature dish. I've never been able to make rødgrød as good as hers.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Head Chef

Brown gravy------ tried them all! And ways too numerous to mention.

I'm gravy challenged.

Funny thing is, I'm a pretty good cook in all other ways---- was the cook for a 1968 Nobel Prize winner in Physics back in the '70s.

He liked my cooking but I never made gravy for him!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Master Chef

My mom's dressing. Everyone else's are so bland. I also miss my mom's fudge and minced pies.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Brown gravy------ tried them all! And ways too numerous to mention.

I'm gravy challenged.

Funny thing is, I'm a pretty good cook in all other ways---- was the cook for a 1968 Nobel Prize winner in Physics back in the '70s.

He liked my cooking but I never made gravy for him!
Don't feel too bad. You are only challenged. That means you have given up yet. Me, I am just plain impaired with pie crust. And I think it beyond repairing. But it is my job this week to try again and again until I get it.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Don't feel too bad. You are only challenged. That means you have given up yet. Me, I am just plain impaired with pie crust. And I think it beyond repairing. But it is my job this week to try again and again until I get it.
I'll give you my foolproof method tomorrow. I have had people tell me that I saved their get together by teaching them how to make tender and flaky pie crusts. but I have to go to bed right now. I'll do it first thing in the morning.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North