"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I absolutely love Nutella! My husband has never tried it, but he will soon!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
I bought some last year to make some kind of Christmas cookie with (forget which) and wasn't impressed.

Maybe I'll buy another jar this year and try some of these interesting ideas.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Head Chef
I have Nutella on toast nearly every day for breakfast, I love it!
There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Talking Got a nutella sweet tooth?

Mike, welcome to one of those hidden gems of commercially prepared foods!

I grew up with it (for extra special days only, mind you) and married an Italian who would be more than content to eat it with a big spoon straight from the jar.

It has something of a cult following the world over, but especially on its home tuff, Italy (Italia).

Knock-off brands/types also exist (including one by Green & Black's, which is awesome too, but it's more $ or € or £ ), one neat variety pairs a swirling of "nutella" (choco-hazelnut) with white chocolate. It is, if you can believe it, even sweeter than nutella on it's own!

Three of my favourite uses are 1.) spread on warm croissants and 2.) as a dip for dry bread sticks (
grissini) 3.) in place of chocolate squares in a smore

For more fun nutella ideas try these:

My hubby says that in Italy they even have "nutella parties", in which case you'll need at least one of these!

(The nutella equivalent of a keg…3 kilograms)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Ahahah Jessica, I know that bucket size nutella very well!! Very often seen in the house of Cris's children... it is a surviving tool for Guido (6) who hardly eats anything else!! (yes we also live in Italy!!)
And yessss... I love the stuff swirl of nutella and white choc!! The best of both worlds, hazelnut AND white chocolate mmmm, my mouth is watering!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #16
Master Chef
Not being American or Italian, I, for obvious reasons, did not grow up eating neither Nuttela, nor Peanut butter. After I tried both I can only say one thing Nuttela rules!
I absolutely hate peanut butter, though, it is repulsive and disgusting. Not only I hate the taste, I hate the look of it and can’t even stand the smell. Making peanut butter sandwiches for kids for school is like a torture for me, brrrrrrr. Sorry.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
LMAO Charlie! I have to tell you My daughter has a friend who actually gags when she smells peanut butter. Her mother (MY friend) is addicted to peanut butter cookies. NOT a pretty combo!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
Master Chef
It's funny how our tastes develop. I love peanut butter out of the jar by the spoonful and sandwiches - especially with sliced banannas. But, I'm not all that fond of PB cookies - and even less fond of PB based Asian sauces, although I couldn't imagine an Asian stir-fry without peanut oil.

Nutella is a new experience for me. My DXW (dear/departed/divorced crazy ex-wife) was first generation born in America French/Italian from Brooklyn, New York (trust me - her French mother gave her no influence, inclinations or interests - she learned all she knew about cooking from her Italian Dad and 2 Uncles). All she ever did every morning was complain that the stores down her in TX didn't carry Nutella - as she slathered PB on toast as a substitute. After hearing about it every morning for 5 years - I just had to try it when I found some.

I love hazel nuts - but this was a new experience for me. I'm trying to learn to experience it, and gain an appreciation for it. I grew up on Southern (USA) food - and fennel, leeks, and endive took me a couple of times before I really began to appreciate them, too.
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #19
Master Chef
Michael; Have you ever eaten that little square of chocolate found in gas-station marts all over the U.S. called "Ice Cubes"? They are similar. To really savor Nutella (I get it in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario), Place a tsp.-full in your mouth. Swirl it around a little. You will taste the aromatic oils of the hazlenut mixed with a very creamy chocolate. The hazlenut dominates the chcolate, which is more of a ganache texture.

Then feel the texture, smooth and creamy, and the cooling sensation of the product in your mouth. Analyse the various flavors, the texture, the feel, as you would a fine wine. Don't just taste the Nuttela, experience it.

When you come to appreciate the complex nature of this chocolaty treat, then think of how it could compliment other things. Add a bit to your hot chocolate, or heat it and drizzle over ice cream with banannas. Let your talented pallate carry the flavor to your nose.

If you still aren't sure, then there's really no hope for you. You will have to be carted away "by those fine young men in their nice white coats. And there comming to take you away, haha haha."

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #20
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
God bless Goodweed!! Here is a genuine Nutella connoisseur!!!

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote