"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Nick, I don't know where you live in Massachusetts, but Lydia Shire is one of hte best preparers of offal I have ever met. Before you try cooking any, I think it is a good idea to have some expertly done so you know what it is you're shooting for. I'd recommend checking hers out!

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Here's a book for those of you who want to put some time in with offal:

The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
by Fergus Henderson

Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Liver and heart! YUMMMMY! I'd prbly like the other choices too but have never tried them.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #14
Head Chef
Nicholas, beef liver is not good. Try calf's liver or lamb's liver, which I prefer. Spring lamb or kid liver is a delight. A good way to start is to use lamb's liver in a stroganoff rather than steak. Don't fry for too long as it can go tough. A little bit of blood (but only a little bit) is no bad thing. I posted one of my favourite offal recipes under Lamb's kidneys

One of the advantages of offal / organ meats is that they are usually cheap. Cooked right, they are really good. I'd rather have lamb's liver stroganoff than beef stroganoff, for example.
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Grew up with a Swedish mom from BC Canada. I know my liver and kidneys, sweet breads and brains. I make a mean steak and kidney pie. I have had great haggis once, good haggis twice, and poorly made sludge a few times. I love charcuterie, southern soul food, mid Atlantic scrapple (made from pork liver), and bone marrow, especially lamb. Tongue is delishious too.

Something as simple as a grilled kidney or sweetbread with eggs and toast is wonderful.

But then again I like stinky cheeses and kippers and pickled herring too!

Yes I own the Whole Beast, and Nasty Bits.

I believe in using it all. wasting the resources of the earth is not good stewardship.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like beef liver and chicken hearts, liver and gizzards. I'm the only one in the family who does, though.

However, when our youngest son was still at home he did share my pleasure in beef liver. Whenever everyone else in the house was out at dinner time because of work, meetings, sports, etc. he would ask if we could have liver and onions. I happily agreed and we'd make piggies of ourselves.

I like to prepare chicken hearts, liver or gizzards in a white wine sauce with tarragon. Then serve over noodles or rice. Yum! Yum!
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
In an old life, when I was nursing, we would give those people ' convalescing' all kinds of offal, but most regularly brains. Unfortunately, they were normally presented in a bland white sauce with a wee bit of parsley added if the cook had thought about it.
I will only eat tripe the Italian way which is ( of course!) with tomatos, herbs and vino!! And it HAS to be honeycomb tripe.

Mountain oysters I have never tried, and have no intention of doing so. They have been in someone elses mouth first.

My mum used to prepare stuffed heart when we were young but you dont ever see it about nowadays.

What about brawn? That is very English I think but is it made in America also?
And as someone mentioned, tongue. Oh very yummy pressed tongue.

In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef
I grew up having tripe about twice a year. Man, how it stunk up the house, but it tasted so good. The sauce was a bit spicy, with lots of peppers, garlic and onions simmered in tomatoes... Great for dipping italian bread. Unfortunatley, I haven't had it in years, and rarely see it on a menu.

I recently tried sweetbreads. Read a review of Bayona in New Orleans, owned by Susan Spicer. The critic raved about the sweetbreads appetizer. It was enough to get me to try it. It was amazing! The next time we got back to New Orleans, which was last New Year's....we had dinner at Bayona again, and I ordered the sweetbreads again. Still delicious. I think I love sweetbreads more than the tripe.

We were served liver and onions as kids. It was never a big hit.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #19
Head Chef
I really love it all especially the liver and gizzards.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #20
I love calf sweetbreads. Love chicken livers. And, technically offal too I guess, foie gras of both duck and goose.
I'm not too keen on mammal livers on their own, but I do love liver patÚs.
Never tried any of the other parts yet, but I'd like to try a steak & kidney pie and haggis if I ever make it to the UK.

Tonight let us eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote