"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My understanding about oils are, unless you are going to use olive oil on a salad or in making salad dressing, or anything where direct taste of raw oil is an issue, using extra virgin olive oil for things such as frying, is a waste. Regular olive oil serves very well for many applications without the expense of using extra virgin or even virgin olive oil.

For pizza dough, rissoto, sauteeing, basting pre-baked fowl, etc. regular olive oil has worked fine. But then, I have to be cost conscious.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I use canola and evoo. (rape seed is also grown in northern North Dakota, not just Canada, although most of it probably comes from there)
me too on both

Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I read the same things about canola oil. I use olive oil and grapeseed oil.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Thumbs up canola oil

I use canola oil for cooking. Extra-virgin olive oil for salads,etc. is the only other oil that I use in my kitchen.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Master Chef

I use extra virgin olive oil or peanut oil.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone View Post
I never use canola oil, mainly because I'm scared of it. I read many internet sources, and the majority of canola oil produced has been processed like crazy (thus, destroying the fragile omega-3's), and then added with chemicals for deodorization. The end result is an oil that has many chemicals that are bad for your health.
It is always wise to check various scare tactic internet messages at sites like snopes.com.(debunking urban legends) I have now seen 5 articles disclaiming this information. One always has the choice to believe what one likes, but canola is safe.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I like peanut oil. I use the xxx virgin olive oil for salad dressings. I do't use any oil very often, but when I do I fry and drain.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
Senior Cook

as with many others, canola for frying & extra virgin olive oil for most everything else.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone View Post
I never use canola oil, mainly because I'm scared of it. I read many internet sources, and the majority of canola oil produced has been processed like crazy (thus, destroying the fragile omega-3's), and then added with chemicals for deodorization.
Acetone, try to expand your research a bit. Canola oil is not only safe to use its better for you than many of the alternatives. (Corn oil for example) Canola oil is pressed like many other oils, and the color comes from the blossoms of the flowers which are bright yellow. Canola fields are gorgeous in the summer.

The "scare stuff" on the Net all has a purpose, please do check places like snopes.com and other reputable sources for a full spectrum of information. It sounds like you are getting scared about a lot of stuff unnecessarily and thats a tough way to live.

I use canola for anything that requires frying (higher smoke point) and olive oil for things like salad dressings and '"finishing" types of things. I've used grapeseed oil as well, but its too pricy for me to use regularly. Ditto sesame. So canola and olive are the two I use.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Master Chef

Our Sam's club sells extra light olive oil that is good for tasting and also for high heat frying, or so they say. I love it.
Personaly I do not like canola because it smells like fish oil to me if used in frying.