"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Much does Organic and Local food mean to you
I Only Shop Organic/Local 8 22.86%
Sometimes When I Can 24 68.57%
I Don't Even Consider It 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Head Chef
Cara: Love that quote. By the time I get there, my body will be so bruised and battered, dental records will be the only way to identify me - If I have any teeth left.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I find that most co-ops are about a lifestyle rather than a quality or price issue. They have a right to their lifestyle, I have a right not to embrace it. .

That is sort of what I was getting at. My problem is they are trying to sell this as something great for the whole neighborhood (funding wise)...which is still largely working class to poor. Really it is for themselves, and they are the people who have the resources to shop anywhere. What we need is good food that wont scare off everybody else.

I try to shop for quality but have trouble associating quality with a little sticker that says organic... or the fact that I brought my own sack and scooped the rice out of a bin.

Growing up our staples were from the typical the grocery store but most "food" was from ethnic specialty shops meat was from the Butcher, cold cuts from the Salumaria, Fish from the Fish Store and fruits and veggies from the local producer markets, Cheese Store, Bakery etc. These places had "good food" I do not know the origins but you knew you were getting quality and getting fresh. This is really how I like to shop when I can.

I really hate shopping at the supermarket but it is a matter of convenience. In the summer I try to take advantage of the farmers markets, We have Reading Terminal which has some nice vendors and The Italian Market in S. Philly as well but these places are sort of pricey. I definitely don't have the time to traverse Lancaster county in search of dairy products.

This place Greensgrow Farms City Supported Agriculture is in the neighborhood and is very cool. I would rather shop the farmstand then join thier buying club though.

PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Local/seasonal/organic as much as possible, which is a lot, as I live in Southern California. That being said, I do not hesitate to buy some things that simply are not locally produced. I shop this way to support the local economy and the environment, because it is cheaper, mostly, and the food is of a much higher quality. And I am very familiar with co-ops and community supported gardening and farming.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Executive Chef
again, I don't care for the choices. I would love to consume only organic and purchase only from sustainable farms. I could if I was motivated to go the extra mile for the products. Even my own supermarket carries a huge line of organic products and produce now. But, many times, the organic is overpriced and less than presentable.
Give me good affordable organic, local products that are easy to come by and I'll go that way all the time. But, in the real world, in my real world, it's just easire said than done, unfortunately.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Head Chef
We have a Farmer's market every year from May through October.

The produce is from within 40 miles from my little town. I buy as much as I can there.

Eggs, honey, vegetables, and fruit. Yes, and they sell home made pickles and relishes, jams and jellies, and baked goods.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I've had relatively the same experience as Vera, the organic isn't always the best looking choice. I would love to be all natural, organic, locally grown, but it's not feasible. It's like they throw "organic" on a product and the price doubles and the product isn't worth it. I don't mind local, I actually stop at a produce stand during the summer for veggies, but the stores don't have what I need.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
Master Chef
I voted "sometimes when I can" but it is more like "as often as I can with my budget". Organic in stores doesn't impress me on most items, but then again 'buying local' and 'buying organic' often mean the same thing for us as we get a lot of our stuff from the local farmers markets around here and all the farmers are organic anyway.
During the winter we tend to poke around Whole Foods for stuff as much as we can afford, but most of the time we are buying stuff like whole grains, eggs, dairy, etc from them.
I think we would go mad trying to be all organic or all local, etc. Sometimes it is just too overwhelming and/or too expensive (Chemicals aren't free, so how come I have to pay MORE for them to NOT to add another expense in??).
Instead, we concentrate on a mixture of things, and just work them in so it is easy to do and doesn't require much thought. We conserve gas as much as we can, utilize public transportation when it works out well to do so, use green bags most times, shop local farmers markets as much as possible, buy recycled and green when it presents itself as a not anymore expensive solution, and keep our own veggie and herb gardens as well as compost.
I think it has more impact if a lot of people did just a few little things each then a few people doing a lot of things.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #18
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Most of the farmers I purchase from at the Greenmarket are no longer certified organic as they cannot afford the cost for certification! That doesn't mean they don't follow the practices. Other farmers who might otherwise be certified don't qualify because a farm beside them doesn't follow the organic practices!

I'm not worried about organic products not "looking as good," if they cook as good and taste as good (generally better). However, when purchasing organic food in grocery stores, be sure to check for the source of the products. For me "organic" and "Product of China" just don't go together...
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #19
Senior Cook
I am with chef june. If I had to choose between local or organic I'll go local. Here we have a food for less and a trader joes. TJ's has a lot of organic items we like but they are from other countries mostly and crazy expensive. The food for less however is stocked with local meats veggies and cheeses so we shop there a lot. The prices are great and if we need organic milk or oils etc we will get those seperately.
snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #20
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Most of the farmers I purchase from at the Greenmarket are no longer certified organic as they cannot afford the cost for certification!

That is an issue I wasn't aware of at all. How expensive is it to get organic certification? I find this a bit ominous, a great way to squeeze out the small farmers. Can you point me to a site where I can read more about this?

Russellkhan is offline   Reply With Quote