Pasta linked to lower BMI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I've read a number of books about the Mediterranean diet and not one said you have to include wine with your dinner. They say that if you want a glass of wine daily, to consume it with your dinner meal and, even more importantly, with friends and family who join you at table. The wine isn't a necessity. A wholesome, well balanced meal and a convivial group makes for a good dinner.

And I guess Himself and I aren't American. We never have bread with dinner, except for an occasional Grands biscuit with ham or smoked pork chops. Heck, many times I don't use bread when I make a sandwich - I wrap the meat in a lettuce leaf.

I don't eat bread either. I have been known to just eat the meat. Sometimes I will put a small smear of mayo on it. Then I roll it up and eat it. Yet my kids could live on bread. Although I have gotten Pirate to eat wraps now. Less intake of carbs. I haven't bought a loaf of bread for the last three months or more. Prior to the last time, the birds were well fed. The whole loaf minus a slice or two, would go stale. :angel:

Last edited:
I don't eat bread either. I have been known to just eat the meat. Sometimes I will put a small smear of mayo on it. Then I roll it up and eat it. Yet my kids could live on bread. Although I have gotten Pirate to eat wraps now. Less intake of carbs. I haven't bought a loaf of bread for the last three months or more. Prior to the last time, the birds were well fed. The whole loaf minus a slice or two, would go stale. :angel:

Why don't you put your loaf of bread in the freezer when you buy it and just pull off a slice or two when you want it? Works quite well.

Last edited:
Addie, please stop speaking as if your experience applies to everyone :rolleyes: I've visited Italy twice, in six or so cities, and meat is certainly not always served separately like that.

Sorry to disagree BUT Maybe not everywhere but in my Italian American family dinners the meatballs, sausage and Braciole where served this way and passed around.

img_1472049_0_59aed77a0d661ca8632086c42634968d.jpg

I am allowed ½ cup or 2oz of carbs, ½ cup of cooked vegetables and 4oz of protein. I can have as much salad as I want, as long as I limit the dressing to 2 tablespoons. I once watched Graham Kerr, on his health concious TV show called The Gathering Place, dress a salad large enough for a family of 4 with tabelspoon of dressing. He used a salad spinner! Of course, he didn't have to worry about cleaning it afterwards. The production company has people for that.

Yup 1/2 cup; we get 8 servings (2 meals for a family of 4) from a pound of pasta.
I like a green salad dressed with nothing but grated parmesan & romano cheeses, lemon juice, salt and fresh ground pepper.

Addie, I've read a number of books about the Mediterranean diet and not one said you have to include wine with your dinner. They say that if you want a glass of wine daily, to consume it with your dinner meal and, even more importantly, with friends and family who join you at table. The wine isn't a necessity. A wholesome, well balanced meal and a convivial group makes for a good dinner.

And I guess Himself and I aren't American. We never have bread with dinner, except for an occasional Grands biscuit with ham or smoked pork chops. Heck, many times I don't use bread when I make a sandwich - I wrap the meat in a lettuce leaf.

We don't eat much bread either with meals unless it's a breakfast biscuit, a rare homemade cheddar bay biscuit with a fish dinner, or a sandwich meal (which I usually make meat and cheese rolls eat on their own or eat with salad no bread).

Sorry to disagree BUT Maybe not everywhere but in my Italian American family dinners the meatballs, sausage and Braciole where served this way and passed around.

img_1472050_0_59aed77a0d661ca8632086c42634968d.jpg

And that's fine, but she didn't say "Italian American family." She said:

For Americans, we serve meat and have bread with almost every meal. If meat is included in the Italian meal, it is served separately in a big bowl. As the bowl is passed around, you have the option of take it or leave it. Americans tend to serve directly from the stove. (Unless they are having company and want to impress.)

Italian Americans aren't the only ones who in America who have Italian meals.

And maybe Addie serves herself from the stove, but that doesn't mean everyone does. It also contradicts the statement that people pass the meat around the table. Totally inconsistent, as usual.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, ITALIAN scientists and pasta. I think I'd more evidence from other sources.

Just because Italians did a study on the effects of pasta as part of the Mediterranean diet doesn't automatically mean it's invalid. Apparently, eating pasta with the other typical components provides a sense of satiety that veggies alone doesn't.

More info:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...understanding-of-whether-we-should-eat-pasta/

http://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v6/n7/full/nutd201620a.html

Just because Italians did a study on the effects of pasta as part of the Mediterranean diet doesn't automatically mean it's invalid...

I realize that. I was just trying to be a little too cute suggesting special interests' impacting the results.

I realize that. I was just trying to be a little too cute suggesting special interests' impacting the results.

That's what happens when you have such a droll sense of humor ;)

And, you know, some people will take that as a good reason to disbelieve studies.

Last edited:
Having spent 6 month in Italy, I can't recall any fat Italians.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom