Picking a good watermelon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

expatgirl

Master Chef
ok---watermelon season is close by if not already here---can you please share your tips on how you find the best watermelons---my luck is thump and miss most of the time----in fact mine are usually overripe. HELP!!

I looks for a nice green melon with a white spot where it was sitting on the ground. It sould be heavy for its size. Other than that I do not really know.

I'm with GB... I really don't know either. However, when they are truly in season you'll know because they'll be cheap and plentiful. When that happens, I'd say MOST of them are quite good. I don't know if I've ever gotten one (in season) that I was not satisfied with.

:) Im with GB heavy for size and a white or even yellow spot.Never could tell with just a thump.Just looked it up .Avoid melons with a flat side,skin should be dull not shiny.they say slap the melon and listen for a hollow thump.
Maybe thats what Im doing wrong I thumping with my fingers instead of using my hand.

Last edited:
GB said:
I looks for a nice green melon with a white spot where it was sitting on the ground. It sould be heavy for its size. Other than that I do not really know.

Have you ever seen one without a white spot on the bottom? Is that an indicator of something?

LOL no now tht you mention it Andy I do not think I have seem one without that spot. I just remembered hearing that somewhere and it stuck in my brain.

I think a yellow spot is better than a white spot. See, the melon ripens, but the white spot develops because that is the part that sits on the ground. If it has a yellow spot, that means it was ripe before they picked it. Like some other fruits, melons don't ripen after being picked, they only rot.

-Tim

Have you tried the tiny Dulcinea watermelons? They always are exactly ripe, imo. They're really sweet, easy to cut up and seedless.

If you've purchased a melon and it's not good, just take it back to the store. They'll give you another. Also, if you're not sure, most produce markets will slice the melon in half so you can see it before you take it home. (They'll wrap it in saran wrap too)

I won't swear to its effectiveness in selecting the best fruit, but I love the sound, the feel and the vibration caused by a heavy pat or a light slap with an open palm.

Andy M. said:
Have you ever seen one without a white spot on the bottom? Is that an indicator of something?

I recently saw somewhere where they recommended this spot be light yellow to indicate ripeness, rather than white, and last time I looked at the grocery store, I did indeed find some with yellow spots. I bought one, and it was the most perfectly ripe watermelon I've ever had.

A yellow spot should be riper than a white spot. Ask me, I buy a LOT of watermelon. :) Should not be dark yellow as that is a sign of over ripe

Look for the yellow spot and thump. What you are trying to ascertain is the amount of sugar compared to flesh. When the sugar content has reached sufficient concentration in the melon, the sound when the flesh is lightly slapped, is deep and resonating. Also, you will feel a vibration on your fingers as the energy from your slap bounces back and forth between the melon sides. For a good idea of what it's supposed to feel like, get yourself a canister of Go-Jo brand hand cleaner. The soap is gelled and will give you the same vibration feeling as a good watermelon when the outside of the canister is slapped.

I know this sounds wierd, but as a young teen, I was facinated by the resonance of different materials. I just liked the feel of it. As an Electrical Engineering Tech., and with some background in physics, I learned more about resonance, or the transfer of energy in a spring-like motion, either through reflecting waves, or an actual spring, guitar string, etc.

That wave reflection of energy in both the Go-Jo can, and the watermelon is what creates the vibration. And I just remembered the feeling of the Go-Jo when I first learned to slap mellons. And to date, the sensation has never led me astray.

You know, sometimes I feel like I get just a little too technical, too carried away with an idea. But the Go-Jo memory just shows how there are so many relationships between materials that can be exploited to achieve a goal.
Goodweed of the North

Many thanks to all of you for your tips since posting this thread--obviously a yellow spot is very important (did not know that)-----Goodweed of the North--WOW! I went to the garage and was disappointed to find that our GoJo is GoGone--my son who is currently living in and taking care of our house while we live overseas( we're home for a short visit) said that we ran out a long time ago but I''m familiar with the product and I think that understand what you are talking about---in other words you really don't want to hear a "hollow" sound which is why I've had problems with picking overripe melons---sure does make sense---and I've used my knuckles to tap and not my slapping my hand against the side on the watermelons. Will sure give it a try and let you know how it works out. GoJo!

jkath said:
Have you tried the tiny Dulcinea watermelons? They always are exactly ripe, imo. They're really sweet, easy to cut up and seedless.

I really like those Dulcinea melons. With just the 2 of us, they are the perfect size, and I've never had a bad one.

I'm watching Sara Moulton, and she has a French chief on as a guest. He was using melon in a recipe, and she asked him how to choose a melon. He said if it smells good on the outside, it tastes good on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom