Pigeon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COOKINGONGAS

Assistant Cook
does anybody have any good recipes for a pigeon starter or anything to do with pigeon i would appreiate your help thanx:chef:

Here's a recipe from an Anthony Worral Thompson cookbook

110g/4oz new potatoes, cut in half
1 pigeon breast

For the dressing
2 tsp Dijon mustard
handful chives, chopped
handful parsley, chopped
1 shallot, finely diced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp oil

Boil the potatoes until tender in salted water. Drain thoroughly and return to the pan. Add all the dressing ingredients and toss through the potatoes.

Pan fry the pigeon breast in the oil for 1-2 minutes on each side. Rest it for 4-5 minutes then slice on an angle.

Serve with the warm potato salad.

Pigeon - ugh. Try using a Cornish game hen instead which, at least, would actually have something on the bones to eat.

Pigeons

My brother has a loft full. Beautiful white plump pigeons. I don't think he would be able to help. His feelings are too involved. Mine too. They are so innocent and people think all they do is poop the surroundings. You would be surprised if you only took the time to watch them. About eating them. OUr mother did it with no trouble at all but then again she was raised on farm. Her own mother cooked her pet goose for Thanksgiving and my mother never forgot that. Thing was crippled and she nursed it back to health but her mom needed food on the table.

There is no such animal as a Cornish game hen in the UK!!! It is a breed of chicken used in the USA.

Wood pigeon is very, very popular in the UK.

you are right ishbel . i managed to make a dish with puy lentils poached quail egg and pan fried breast of pigeon with a reducted sauce:) made from the rest of the pigeon
jus wondered what you alll thought of the dish?

Ishbel, only had wood pigeon once, and that was in Aberdeen.

The chef's rendition put the emphasis on the wood and not the pigeon.

I guess if I get another chance will try it, thanks.

Don't have the recipe, but my first job (way back in '83) was at a very exclusive restaurant. The chef changed the menu every 3 days, but always kept one item on it: Pigeon Pie. It was pigeon meat, slow cooked, with mushrooms, shallots and possibly other veggies, maybe leeks or celery, all wrapped up in phyllo. It was fashioned like a "money bag" with a twist at the top; then, the phyllo had a "puff" at the top. when you cut open the puff, you'd find a hard-boiled quail egg. It was the chef's little joke.
I've never seen anything else like it, but it would be neat to re-create it.

Back
Top Bottom