Piros Arany- paprika paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audiobuff2

Assistant Cook
I was gifted a tube of this paprika paste, but all the recipes I see call for paprika powder. Can anyone tell me what the equivalent amounts are to match the paste to the powder?

TIA

Welcome to DC! Never heard of paprika paste. Since I rarely measure paprika, I'd try an amount of paste equal to what it calls for in powder in your recipe.

Last edited:
Here's what it looks like. The tube is not very big, and I'm concerned that it is too concentrated. I suppose I could start small and add as needed. i just can't seem to find any resources or information on this product and how it's used.
Univer Sweet Paprika Paste in Tube ( Pasta De Ardei Dulce ) -160 g - Amazon.com

Ah. Since it's sweet paprika, you can probably add as much as you want, it won't make anything too spicy. Bet it would be great mixed in deviled eggs!

Paprika and pepper pastes are common in Hungarian and Turkish cookery. Add it to meat stews and soup. I even spread it on bread.

I use Turkish version and it's intense. Pic of the jar is in middle of the page.

I don't know that there's really a ratio of paste to dry, because the paste is a puree of roasted pepper and retains a lot of the fresh pepper flavor. Dry has a different character. I would consider the paste the more subtle ingredient and use it for recipes where that quality can be appreciated, using the powder for heavier recipes. The paste can also be concentrated to a greater or lesser degree by different makers. I would presume a small tube to be more concentrated than a large jar.

Here's what someone said about dosage:
"The proportion is usually 1 Tbs paste = 1 tsp powder if it is paprika of the sweet variety. As you usually add ¼ to ½ tsp paprika powder to a recipe, that means adding ¾ to 1½ tsp of paste." Half of that for the hot variety.

That ratio is the same as for fresh versus dried herbs, also.

I love paprika paste (biber salcasi in Turkish). It makes a great chicken rub mixed 60:40 with coriander chutney, garlic and a bit of lemon juice or yoghurt. The color will be an unappetizing brown but it turns red with cooking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom