"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Pizza Problem

Hi. Good-morning/Afternoon/Evening ! [I know this is a World-wide website.]
I love Pizzas, [ among other things], and really enjoy making up my own concoctions. But when there is not time, then I do keep 3 or 4 Supermarket 'Ready to cook' in the freezer, just for 'Emergencies'.

The problem that I have is that recently some 'Extra-Thin Crust' pizzas have appeared on the market in my area, and they don't seem to have adjusted the cooking instructions to take account of this fact. I'm told to heat the oven, top and bottom, to about 200 [Fan forced], and then cook for about 15 mins.

Previously, I always found this over-cooked them, [ and yes, I have had the oven checked !], so ignoring that I heat to about 180, and then proceed. And it's usually OK-ish.

But now, with the 'Extra-Thin Crust' Pizzas, I find that no matter how much I adjust etc, the base is always burnt on the bottom. So I moved it up a rack. Not much difference. I tried cooking for less time, but the toppings seem a bit underdone when I do that.

So I'm wondering if there is anything I can put on the baking tray to lessen the heat getting to that part of the Pizza, and I won't have to keep giving them to the dogs. Who don't seem to mind. But I think their jaws are stronger than mine. And their constitutions.

So any suggestions would be much appreciated by my teeth and taste-buds.

Although possibly not by the dogs.

No man was ever shot while doing the dishes.
Burnt-toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Master Chef
I would try using two baking sheets, one inside the other, to create some insulation.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Sous Chef
If you have a ceramic or glass or an earthenwere flat dish try that. I use a large quiche dish as I had a similar problem and this works better with the thin bases
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I would recommend trying a pizza stone.Tthey are available from a variety of sources. I have heard of folks using unglazed ceramic tiles for this but you need to be absolutely certain they are unglazed to avoid any contact with lead.
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Head Chef
If you are worried about over cooking the crust you might want to use an insulated cooking sheet. Another thing you could do is set the oven to broil so the top gets cooked first. Just watch it so it doesn't burn. By the way I have lined my oven bottom with the unglazed tiles. I like to start my fruit pies on the tiles so that the bottom gets fully cooked before the edges get too brown. After a few minutes I move the pies to the center of the oven. No more half cooked pie bottoms.
Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refridgerator.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote