"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pork Roast

I've been wanting to make a roasted pork loin. I've never made one and found a recipe that I thought looked yummy.

Went to the local grocery store (Homeland) and all I could find was the pre-packaged Hormel "Original" Extra Lean Pork Center Cut Loin Filet. It has a note: "Containing up to thirty percent of a patented flavoring solution** coated with sauce***. They also had them in other flavors, but I want to flavor it myself.

**Solution Ingredients: Pork broth, Potassium Lactate, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cornstarch, sodium phosphates, sodium bicarbonate, salt, autolyzed yeast, sodium diacetate.

***Sauce Ingredients: Water, cornstarch, xanthan gum.

Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary crap to me. I really just wanted a plain old untouched pork roast. All I could find otherwise was a large roast like you would use for pulled pork, etc. Should I have asked the butcher? What do you buy when you want a nice roasted pork loin?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy a pork loin. I've seen those tenderloins and hear they are good, but haven't tried one yet. I buy the whole loin and cut it into chops, saving a couple nice pieces for roasts. I would have asked the butcher or someone if you couldn't find a plain loin roast.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If your supermarket doesn't carry plain pork loins, demand they start or go elsewhere. The same goes for tenderloins. The marinated/treated pieces force you to pay pork prices for marinades and sauces.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I'll be sure and talk to the butcher. This time I think I will just rinse it real well with water and pat it dry before putting the spice rub mixture on it.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Someone gave us one of the flavored ones that you mentioned. It was so salty and the marinade overpowered the flavor of the meat.

Barbara
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Someone gave us one of the flavored ones that you mentioned. It was so salty and the marinade overpowered the flavor of the meat.

Barbara

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'll be making it Sunday or Monday.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'll be making it Sunday or Monday.
You could think of it as corned and give it a good rinse or soak before you cook it.

I usually get the whole loin at Costco. Just like Pacanis, I section it into pieces for roasts and stuff and stick most of it in the freezer. I use it for all kinds of stuff including chops, schnitzel, a Danish cold cut called Rullepølse, and other odd Danish food
Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
"Containing up to thirty percent of a patented flavoring solution** coated with sauce***.
Quote:
**Solution Ingredients: Pork broth, Potassium Lactate, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cornstarch, sodium phosphates, sodium bicarbonate, salt, autolyzed yeast, sodium diacetate.

***Sauce Ingredients: Water, cornstarch, xanthan gum.
That made me snort. And snicker a little. Perhaps it's my cynicism that finds it extremely amusing that they throw the term patented in there to cover what is, basically, the same awful concoction a lot of those flavored products use (perhaps that's why it's not claimed to be theirs and only 30% at most?). The sauce I have to ask though... seriously? Was that honestly all that was in it ingredients wise or was this simply leaving out the actual flavorings from the listing?

I can't help but think of Homer Simpson when he created his Spine-O-Cylinder and kept babbling "Patent pending, patent pending, patent pending" at people after mentioning it. Or perhaps I watch too many cartoons .
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Yeah, Potsnpanties, I don't think it is supposed to be a flavoring....maybe just a "flavor enhancer". Kind of wish I hadn't bought it now. We'll see...
Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Cook

Flavor enhancer sounds more likely considering what xanthan gum really is.

But! Don't wish you hadn't bought it (as much as it is annoying), take it as a challenge (you know the whole proverbial "If Life gives you lemons, squirt them in its eyes and steal its wallet" deal). As Taxlady said, rinsing and soaking it is definitely an option. It would give you a better chance of having the meat at its closest non-altered raw state than before.

Tags
pork, roast