"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Personally if I order a bone in roast I usually have it cut thru the bone, kind of like as if I were to cut into stakes. Then I can serve it like a cut up stake. But a lot of times butchers do cut bones of completely and then tie the meat and bones together. I wonder why?
They do it just because the butchers think they are doing us a favor Charlie.

I don't care one way or the other as it's easy enough to slice the bones off after it's cooked, and before being sliced.

On a prime rib roast I count two servings per rib as being a more than generous portion. Personally I think the meaty bones are the best part and I always claim one of them as the cooks treat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmm, love gnawing on prime rib bones. Even when I was a kid I remember asking for the bones left on the cutting board. Good stuff.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #43
Sous Chef

In the cookbook I just got for Christmas, there is a recipe for beef brisket that you cook sous vide (in a vacuum sealed bag) at 145 for 72 hours. I think the key to what you are trying to do is maintaining a safe temperature. You want to do the cooking in the bag, then sear the meat. For a rib roast, you would want to have the water at the desired internal temperature, and use a popup thermometer or something in the bag, so you know when it is done, then use a blowtorch, or hot oil in a pan to very quickly brown the outside. (It says a roast over 2 inches thick could take over 5 hours) That way the whole roast is a perfect medium rare, or whatever temperature you are going for, and you still have the sear flavor on the outside. It also looks nicer browned, of course. I would probably follow the advice of experimenting at some other time, but if you have any other questions I could answer from my modernist cooking, sous vide book, I would be happy to. I'm just trying sous vide for the first time today, so I'm not an expert, I am just relaying info from a book.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #44
Senior Cook

What he said: "Although I do not know much about cooking, I do know something about microbiology. Bacteria have a lag time when put in a growth medium before they start growing. For most bacteria when placed in ideal growth medium, this is two or more hours. It certainly will be longer for bacteria that are starting at near freezing (refrigerator temp) and slowly warmed. I know that this fear of keeping any meat at room temp even an hour is very common, it is just not true." IMO some people have become obsessed with 'bacteria'. They will happily allow a dog to lick their face and hands and think nothing of allowing their pets to roam their kitchen counters while they are prepping food without bothering to wash their hands and face first is telling. I wonder where that dog's nose was five minutes ago? But at the thought that a roast turkey or chicken might not meet the 'current' health standards visa vi temperature they are fainting.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
...IMO some people have become obsessed with 'bacteria'. They will happily allow a dog to lick their face and hands and think nothing of allowing their pets to roam their kitchen counters while they are prepping food without bothering to wash their hands and face first is telling. I wonder where that dog's nose was five minutes ago? But at the thought that a roast turkey or chicken might not meet the 'current' health standards visa vi temperature they are fainting.
One bad habit doesn't excuse another.

Neither people nor pets walk on my counters. Neither people nor pets lick my face. I don't faint.

I have had food poisoning and it's not even a little bit funny. If you choose not to practice safe food handling practices that's your business. No need to ridicule others for being careful.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One bad habit doesn't excuse another.

Neither people nor pets walk on my counters. Neither people nor pets lick my face. I don't faint.

I have had food poisoning and it's not even a little bit funny. If you choose not to practice safe food handling practices that's your business. No need to ridicule others for being careful.
+1
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
+1
+2 Just ask my son The Pirate and the doctors in the ER.

Tags
roast, water