Prime rib dry? hmm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
today was my first time roasting beef prime rib. I rubbed it with dry rub first and then smoked on the bbq rack (no aluminum foil), for 7 hours. here's the resulting picture:

zuldzc.jpg

the fatty part is delicious, but the lean part is a bit dry and disappointing. when it eat it it makes me want to have a sauce to go with it. what did I do wrong?

You seriously overcooked it. You need to use something a little tougher in "low and slow" cooking so that when it breaks down it hits tender and wonderful when you're done. Prime rib needs fast, hot cooking and will be melt in your mouth delicious.

Last edited:
agreed, alix. larger, bone-in roasts can afford a longer cook, though, still at roasting temps.
i'd also guess that the lean eye wasn't marbled with fat to any degree.

Yep, overcooked.

Prime Rib (or Standing Rib Roast) does not need a long cook-time. I cook mine low and slow in the oven at 325 until it is about 10 - 15 degrees under what I want. I then take it out, let it rest for 20 minutes, covered with foil. While resting kick the oven temp up to 450 degrees. After 20 minutes take off the foil and put the roast back in the oven to crisp up the fat. Let rest again for @ 10 - 15 minutes, slice and eat!!

does look a bit overdone - but on the happy side, nice looking bark! (g)

just to demonstrate the ole adage: "It Takes All Kinds"

I do prime rib, dry aged 21 days, bone in. typically about 10 lbs.

I do it uncovered at 275'F in an electric oven. takes 4-5 hours to get up to internal temp.

then I jack up the oven to MAX and make the crust.

Over cooked. Don't go by time, go by temp. I've done many low and slow prime ribs, 225 range, but I pull them at about 140.(yep, we like med rare to med:rolleyes:).

A fix might be to slice thin, cross grain, and put in hot au jus for french dips.

I guess I'm weird or something. My prime or standing rib goes into the oven for 1/2 hour per lb. Then it rests for about 15 and I crisp the outside as Dave does. Perfect medium rare every time.

I guess I'm weird or something. My prime or standing rib goes into the oven for 1/2 hour per lb. Then it rests for about 15 and I crisp the outside as Dave does. Perfect medium rare every time.

You know what they say. 'There's more than one way to skin a cat.' The end result is all that matters.

Of course, I've never skinned a cat, but that's what they say.

You know what they say. 'There's more than one way to skin a cat.' The end result is all that matters.

I have....I've skinned more Cats than I can count ~~ "Tis true...There's more than one way....

That's what I think too. Gotta say, my cats would likely complain if I tried that! :LOL:

Different strokes, as has been said. I make it so seldom that I have to look it up every time, but I also go by temp more than anything, and like mine very rare. Then I serve the outside slices to those who can't stand the sight of blood in their meat, or if that is the majority of guests, then I'll slice some and put them back in the oven (or barbecue or grill) for them. I, too, ascribe to the temperature rather than time theory, especially since I do it so seldom. Same as I do any roast or whole poultry. I love my Polander thermometer/timer with the probe the sounds an alarm when the meat hits the desired temperature. Remember, you can always cook things more, but you cannot un-cook them. This looks more like a smoked piece of beef that a prime, and at that price you can do brisket for far less.

Back
Top Bottom