Question about imitation crab meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try the butter, a little garlic, and a dash of OLD BAY seasoning.

Last edited:
I always thought that imitation crab just tasted really weird...and un-natural...that's just me though.

Regardless of how it tastes to you, there's nothing "un-natural" about it. It's simply a seafood product - nothing more, nothing less.

I think what bothers most folks is the marketing - i.e. "imitation crab/lobster/whatever". Personally, I think they should just market it via the Japanese term "Surimi" & leave it at that - a combined/shredded/whatever seafood product no different from fish sticks, etc., etc. It serves its purpose very well without needing to "imitate" anything. :)

I think what bothers most folks is the marketing - i.e. "imitation crab/lobster/whatever". Personally, I think they should just market it via the Japanese term "Surimi" & leave it at that - a combined/shredded/whatever seafood product no different from fish sticks, etc., etc. It serves its purpose very well without needing to "imitate" anything. :)
I agree 100%.

Oh, & a poster here asked me for my stirfry recipe via PM (which I did send to him), but since it's my own adaptation, here it is for anyone who wants to give it a try. It's simple, & makes a great addition to a Chinese dinner party because after cooking it can be bowled & kept warm without loss of quality while you're finishing up other dishes.

BREEZY JADE & CORAL
(Adapted from Wokcraft, by Charles & Violet Schafer)

1 pound of broccoli florets
Approx 8 ounces or so of surimi, in bite-size pieces
Approx. 1” piece of fresh ginger, peeled & minced
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons dry sherry
4 tablespoons soy sauce
A few dollops of vegetable oil for stirfrying

Bring a pot of water to a boil & blanch broccoli florets for 2 minutes & drain. Combine sugar, sherry, soy sauce, & minced garlic – stir until sugar is dissolved. Heat a dollop or so of oil in a wok or large skillet & add ginger for about 30 seconds, then follow with broccoli florets, surimi, & sauce mixture. Stirfry until heated through & serve.

Back
Top Bottom