"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Its irrelevant to the task of warming up a ham.

For what it's worth ...
What's the Difference Between Roasting and Baking?

While these cooking methods are nearly identical in today's kitchen, there's actually a few things that set them apart.
  • Structure of the food. This is the primary factor that sets these cooking methods apart. Roasting involves cooking foods that already have a solid structure before the cooking process begins (think, meat and vegetables). Baking involves that lack structure early on, then become solid and lose their "empty space" during the cooking (think, cakes and muffins).
  • Temperature. Various sources note that the temperature setting on the oven also distinguishes these two cooking method. Roasting requires a higher temperature (400 degrees F and above) to create a browned, flavorful "crust" on the outside of the food being cooked, while baking occurs at lower oven temperatures (up to 375 degrees F).
  • Fat content. While many baked goods contain fat within, an outer coating of fat, such as vegetables or meat brushed with olive oil, is an indicator of roasting.
  • Covered pan. Roasting is typically done in an open, uncovered pan, while items that are baked may be covered.
What's the Difference Between Roasting and Baking? — Word of Mouth | The Kitchn
Item 1 - correct as far as I can see.

Item 2 - Pizza is baked in excess of 500' F.

Item 3 - I brush breads, dinner rolls, and other traditionally baked foods with butter and to help brown the crust of many items.

Item 4 - there are a host of quick-breads, custards, breads, cookies, brownies, etc. are all baked uncovered.

This discussion could go on for a very long time as there is no longer hard and fast rules that distinguish baking and roasting. There are some who claim adamantly that roasting involves open fire. Others state that roasting reefers to cooking meat with dry heat. I feel that it can be somewhat regional, or even dictated by the traditions of your family.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I am an avid baker, especially around the holidays. I loved my old fashioned oven. Everything turned out perfect. With this new one, I first tried cookies with the regular Bake setting. Disaster. I was not familiar with convection, but I tried it. For some reason, the cookies in the center of the cookie sheet are still raw when the ones on the outside edges are done. Now I have started putting the cookies just around the outside edge so they all bake the same. It takes a lot longer to bake a batch of cookies but the results are better. It's worth the extra time. If I am making something like lasagne, I have to turn the pan halfway through cooking so it cooks evenly. Very disappointing, especially for what I paid for it.

Kayelle, I use my bottom oven for storage of my broiler pan. I do use it for some things, like roasted root vegetables, as the browning on the top is desired, and I just stir them to turn part way through the cooking time. It also has a warming setting that is useful.
Well that stinks! I use convection pretty much exclusively and enjoy nice, even baking, I've been very happy with it. I've baked a lot of cookies, cakes and bread in that oven.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef

We had this discussion before. Roasting vs Baking
Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
And welcome back to DC. As you can see, nothing has changed here in your absence. Between this thread and the old one, I think it is safe to say that we answered the question.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Started by the same OP, I see.

Thought it seemed familiar.....
Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Roasting, baking - it's all cooking! This argument has been going on for hundreds of years, and it's never been settled to the satisfaction of everyone, so don't try. Let it go and do what seems best to you.