Quick help with oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I am getting ready to go to the grocery store and had a question about oil. I am going to be making an apple streusel pie and the crust calles for 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Can I use canola oil in place of the vegetable oil? Will it make a big difference? Thanks. I will post the recipe later if it comes out OK.

I know it's too late but vegetable oil or canola would do just fine. Also safflower and corn. Basically, any mild flavored oil would work for desserts.

I wouldn't use olive or peanut oil because they are more strongly flavored and may effect the flavor of the dessert.

The only oils I use are olive and peanut. I've never considered peanut oil as strong-flavored.

Thanks for your reply's. I ended up using the canola oil and it worked just fine. I figured it was ok, but since I don't bake very often I just wanted to make sure. Now I know for future reference.

Canola oil is vegetable oil.

There are many different types of vegetable oil, canola being one of them. Peanut, olive, corn, sunflower, safflower are other types.

Vegetable oil is just oil made from a vegetable, rather than an animal source.

I too usually only have olive and peanut on hand. I consider both to be fairly strong tasting, as opposed to the neutral flavor of canola or safflower. I used peanut in a cake the other day to avoid going to the store and it was fine, but you could discern the peanut taste.

I always use peanut oil in recipes where I want the flavor of the other ingredients to shine through whereas sometimes you want an olive oil taste - I'm with HanArt on this one - mine is almost tasteless and will let the flavors shine through - that's one of the reasons why it's used in frying also. I've never experienced a strong-tasting peanut oil - unless it was rancid.

HanArt said:
That's surprising. I've always found peanut oil to be rather bland as compared to other nut oils. Was the oil you used made in China by any chance?

http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=42&id=569

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I have it for all the asian food I cook. I always use Lion and Globe brand. It's got a distinct flavor. It must be made in asia somewhere.

This website says it's cold pressed and semi-refined. So, like olive oil, the more you refine and heat it the blander the taste. Duh. I'll try the more refined version some day.

http://www.mingspantry.com/peanoilliong.html

One of my grandaughters made brownies using olive oil once - she didn't have to worry about anyone else eating them. I would thing that would be terrible. They were living in California at the time so I didn't taste.

I tried making brownies with peanut oil once .... didn't have to worry about anyone eating them ...... my son and I tasted them and tossed them into the garbage immediately.

Some people say peanut oil has no flavor ... I think it has a very pronounced flavor.

Back
Top Bottom