Rapeseed oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Hi. I watch Saturday kitchen with James Martin. He tends to cook a lot using Rapeseed oil. Can someone tell me the difference between this and extra virgin olive oil or any other for that matter. I make clarified butter sometimes and use that.

rapeseed is call canola oil in Canada/USA. the marketing people thought that sounded better...

it's a "vegetable" oil i.e. from plant not animal.

as mentioned, different flavor(s) - even by brand - and obviously smoke points are different.

there's lot of "data" out there - and even more opinions....

The more common name for rapeseed oil is Canola oil. It is derived from a variety of the mustard plant. The oil was first used as a lubricant for heavy machinery, but has been further refined as an edible oil. It's interesting to note that the mustard, turnip, and cabbage families are related. But where the cabbage and turnips roots are consumed (and rutabagas which are a cross between the cabbage and the turnip).the seed of the mustard plant is what is harvested. From some we get industrial lubricants, from others we get mustard gas, others are ground into mustard, and one is made into canola, or rapeseed oil for cooking.

Canola oil is a flavorless, high heat cooking oil that is useful as a component of salad dressing, for emulsified sauces such as mayonnaise and aiolis, and for frying foods. Though not as good for you as avocado, sunflower, saflower, or olive oil, it is more avaialble, and inexpensive. It is low in saturated fats and high in Omega-3 fats. It is touted as a healthy oil.

Oils are required for a healthy body, but only a little is required. All fats are high caloric foods, and can be bad if too much is consumed. So, just use sparingly.

The worst oils are hydrogenated oils, which turns liquid oils into sold fats, and extends their shelf life. Almost all margarines used to be made up of hydrogenated oils. When the public found out about that hydrogenated fats were the worst for you, makers found out that they could make more money on their products, and increase sales by selling margarines that contained no hydrogenation. I still maintain that natural fats, such as butter and lard are healthier for the body as that's what we were designed to live off of by nature, providence, or whatever you want to call it. But tha'ts my opinio.

Hope that helps explain things a little.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oils are required for a healthy body, but only a little is required. All fats are high caloric foods, and can be bad if too much is consumed. So, just use sparingly.

2T oil per day minimum is needed

The worst oils are hydrogenated oils, which turns liquid oils into sold fats, and extends their shelf life. Almost all margarines used to be made up of hydrogenated oils. When the public found out about that hydrogenated fats were the worst for you, makers found out that they could make more money on their products, and increase sales by selling margarines that contained no hydrogenation. I still maintain that natural fats, such as butter and lard are healthier for the body as that's what we were designed to live off of by nature, providence, or whatever you want to call it. But tha'ts my opinion.

I agree 100%

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

message too short;)

Canola oil tastes fishy to me when heated. I never use it.

I feel the same way, it smells terrible if you accidentally over heat it!

I've switched to grape seed oil, it's a bit more expensive but I like it. A big bottle at the club store is a better deal.

No canola oil here anymore. I see the smell and taste thing isn't just me.

I use olive oil for most things, but I like Good Seasons salad dressing mix so for that, I use half evoo and half canola oil with red wine vinegar.

I have never noticed canola smelling of tasting fishy, unless I cook fish in it. It's what I use in my deep fryer, exclusively. Light olive oil for sautéing or pan frying, canola for deep frying, and peanut oil for stir frying.

This reminds me of people who ask me not to garnish their food with cilantro because they think it tastes like soap, so I garnish their dish with epazote instead. It doesn't taste like soap, it tastes like gasoline!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom