"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
Cook

Rapeseed oil

Hi. I watch Saturday kitchen with James Martin. He tends to cook a lot using Rapeseed oil. Can someone tell me the difference between this and extra virgin olive oil or any other for that matter. I make clarified butter sometimes and use that.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

The primary differences among different types of oils are flavor and smoke point - the temperature where the oil begins to smoke. Here's a good summary: http://fooducopia.com/blog/2012/09/t...s-demystified/

Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Sous Chef

rapeseed is call canola oil in Canada/USA. the marketing people thought that sounded better...

it's a "vegetable" oil i.e. from plant not animal.

as mentioned, different flavor(s) - even by brand - and obviously smoke points are different.

there's lot of "data" out there - and even more opinions....
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Master Chef

The more common name for rapeseed oil is Canola oil. It is derived from a variety of the mustard plant. The oil was first used as a lubricant for heavy machinery, but has been further refined as an edible oil. It's interesting to note that the mustard, turnip, and cabbage families are related. But where the cabbage and turnips roots are consumed (and rutabagas which are a cross between the cabbage and the turnip).the seed of the mustard plant is what is harvested. From some we get industrial lubricants, from others we get mustard gas, others are ground into mustard, and one is made into canola, or rapeseed oil for cooking.

Canola oil is a flavorless, high heat cooking oil that is useful as a component of salad dressing, for emulsified sauces such as mayonnaise and aiolis, and for frying foods. Though not as good for you as avocado, sunflower, saflower, or olive oil, it is more avaialble, and inexpensive. It is low in saturated fats and high in Omega-3 fats. It is touted as a healthy oil.

Oils are required for a healthy body, but only a little is required. All fats are high caloric foods, and can be bad if too much is consumed. So, just use sparingly.

The worst oils are hydrogenated oils, which turns liquid oils into sold fats, and extends their shelf life. Almost all margarines used to be made up of hydrogenated oils. When the public found out about that hydrogenated fats were the worst for you, makers found out that they could make more money on their products, and increase sales by selling margarines that contained no hydrogenation. I still maintain that natural fats, such as butter and lard are healthier for the body as that's what we were designed to live off of by nature, providence, or whatever you want to call it. But tha'ts my opinio.

Hope that helps explain things a little.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Oils are required for a healthy body, but only a little is required. All fats are high caloric foods, and can be bad if too much is consumed. So, just use sparingly.

2T oil per day minimum is needed

The worst oils are hydrogenated oils, which turns liquid oils into sold fats, and extends their shelf life. Almost all margarines used to be made up of hydrogenated oils. When the public found out about that hydrogenated fats were the worst for you, makers found out that they could make more money on their products, and increase sales by selling margarines that contained no hydrogenation. I still maintain that natural fats, such as butter and lard are healthier for the body as that's what we were designed to live off of by nature, providence, or whatever you want to call it. But tha'ts my opinion.

I agree 100%

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

message too short
Old 06-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
message too short
Bahaha
Old 06-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bahaha
Yeh, I think that's the first time I've ever heard that on this site.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

Canola oil tastes fishy to me when heated. I never use it.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Ditto! Haven't used it in years.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I feel the same way, it smells terrible if you accidentally over heat it!

I've switched to grape seed oil, it's a bit more expensive but I like it. A big bottle at the club store is a better deal.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil