"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt-toast View Post
This seems to work pretty well for me. I think keeping them in the fridge for much longer might be risky, in which case the dogs have helped me out. I have kept a close eye on them, and they seem OK, so maybe I could extend my storage time a day or two....
Dogs are not as prone to getting ill from somewhat "ripe" food as humans. They have a much shorter intestinal tract, so the microbes leave their bodies more quickly.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the comment, Kitchen Barbarian. As a matter of interest, what is your re-heating procedure ? Do you defrost first ? Fridge, room temp, or microwave ?

And after that, how do you re-heat ? Again, Microwave or conventional oven ? And if Micrwave, is it a short sharp Zap, or longer at reduced power ?

Cheers for now. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook

If it's anything that doesn't involve bread, it goes straight into the microwave. I just zap it at high if it's a reheat - I use lower heat only if I need to thaw something for further cooking. Bread and pizza also get the low, slow microwave treatment. Also melting butter. I suspect the curry that curdled was one that had cream in the sauce - there's only one I make that way, Murgh Masala - Butter Chicken basically - but it has been so long ago I no longer remember exactly what it was. Might have been something with a yogurt component.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Burnt Toast - Thinking about your stomach upset it occurred to me. Are your 'fridge and freezer running at the correct temperature?

The ideal freezer temperature is 0 Fahrenheit (-18 Celsius) for storing food. And -10 Fahrenheit (-23 Celsius) is recommended when freezing food.

The ideal temp for a 'fridge is between 35F - 38F (1.7F - 3.3F)

You can buy inexpensive thermometers to go in the freezer and 'fridge and they are really worth the (minor) expense when compared to the waste of food or sickness. Some new appliances have an in-built alarm to indicate that the internal temp is too high.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hi. I've got a thermometer in the Fridge section, and keep it at 2 degrees. I don't have anything in the freezer section, but everything seems pretty frozen to me, and there is a 'Quick Freeze' button on the top of the Fridge/Freezer which I usually press when adding something. I think it cancels itself off after a few hours, and does seem to do a good job.

I think my tummy problem [ to put it nicely !] may have been caused by not putting the stuff into the freezer quickly enough after it had cooled down.

Needless to say, after that experience I ditched the rest of that batch, and it hasn't happened since !

They do say that the only thing worse than having to learn from experience, is not learning from experience.

I didn't want to fall into that trap !!

Thanks though.

Tags
cook, eating, food, frozen