"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Recipe ideas for throat condition

Hi all,

Glad I found this forum. Some great stuff In here!

I'm looking to cook a family meal this weekend for my parents and uncle. We usually like spicy foods such as Spanish paella, Thai and Indian dishes but my Dad Is recovering from radiotherapy on his throat.

He is able to eat foods that are either mashy, loaded with sauce with no spice at all.

I am struggling to think of dishes that would be suitable for this kind of gathering.

Please post any recipes/ links/ ideas that you think may be suitable and interesting for this meal.

Thanks for your help.

Dan.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

Dan,
First welcome to DC!

I looked after my father for the last years of his life and he developed a throat condition (disphasea) where he couldn't swallow properly. He couldn't have anything solid or spicy.

What I did was make regular meals, for example roast beef dinner, and then puree it. Mince the beef really fine in a food processor, mash potatoes creamy and mince/mash the vegetables (carrots and peas are good). Put all on the plate and cover with a flavourful but not spicy gravy.

I even pureed pastas with sauce, everything. Depending on the texture he needs you don't have to go too thin, but just so it is soft and creamy, easy to swallow. Rather than a lot of pepper or other spices, use fresh herbs to season.

So, I guess what I am saying is you can make almost anything for the group and just prep your Dad's food slightly differently. And He will be able to feel like he is not so different which can be hugely important.

Hope that helps.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to DC. A few ideas I have are spaghetti with meatballs, Swedish meatballs with egg noodles, or baked fish with rice. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

Dan, welcome to Discuss Cooking and I'm so sorry about your Dad's condition. I just posted a recipe for Fancy Creamed Tuna that would work and is very good, but may not be what one would consider company fare.
How about something like Spaghetti Carbonara, or another another mild white sauce for pasta like Linguini with clam sauce?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to DC :)

How about making a saucy mac&cheese, cottage pie or chicken and veggie soup?
When my mom had radiotherapy for a lumps in her throat she ate mainly soups and ice cream.
Maybe you can just make a soup to start and a saucy pasta dish as a main. Then he can eat what he's able too. Maybe a nice potato and leek or creamed mushroom soup.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe