"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
Personally, I always considered THIS website to be my one-stop shop for coming up with ideas based on the ingredients I have ;)
I agree....There simply isn't a better place to seek new recipes and advice than right here.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Head Chef

When we first married one of us was in school. Our income was meagre at best. Course we had tuition and books to pay for, what was left over was not much. But we ate amazingly well.

At the beginning we had a frying pan, a pot, a cutting knife, knife fork and spoons for two, a few plates, a couple of bowls and a hibachi. Yes and a working stove and an enamel baking dish that was great for casseroles.

We were only accessible to normal supermarkets, no great cheap Asain or other ethnic places available.

We shopped very carefully. We would find turkeys on sale, not near the holidays, outrageously cheap. If there was a great sale we found it. A ten pound turkey can feed two people for days, with the sandwiches, and then the turkey soup.

Anyone can make a ribeye taste good. But you can eat quite well off the much cheaper cuts. And we learned how to make them. This was before the computer age and we could not afford cookbooks so we learned how to do it by talking to folks and trial and error.

I will tell you that not everything was a success but we made out.

We ate low on the hog and a lot of pasta - usually baked ziti although we make it with the spiral macaronis. But we ate healthily and usually quite well.

That frugality has lasted with us for the last almost thirty years. Although now we can, and do, buy more expensive foods as we see fit. But I still cannot resist a sale on turkeys in July or a big bag of chicken parts in the late fall at an outrageously low price.

Some markets put their almost outdated stuff on sale at a certain time, usually early in the morning. If you can learn when that is you can get stuff for ridiculous prices.

As I have said we have a great forum here and people who are at every turns in their lives.

I would suggest you give us a chance. You might be surprised.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
Sue-Zee-Q

ivillage used to have that type of feature (entering your ingredients and it would give you a menu) but now it doesn't anymore. I agree with auntdot, if you tell us what you have on hand or what you buy, we could certainly come up with some frugal and great ideas for food. Being a vegetarian, legumes are a good food to eat when you are on a tight budget. If you buy them dried, that money goes a lot further than buying canned ones, but canned ones of course are good for that spontaneous 'Oh! I think I'll have this tonight.' moment.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Meat, at least where I live, is quite expensive compared to vegetables, per unit weight, so the only meat product that I tend to buy is 'leverwurst' (liver-sausage) which contains a large proportion of vegetable anyway.

I prefer to avoid things which I believe are devoid of nutritional value (mushrooms, cucumber, lettuce - I prefer fibre sources to also provide vitamins/minerals). I've noticed that sprouts, yukky as they are, are quite cheap, and would like to place special emphasis on their use (although any other combination also appreciated).

The kitchen equipment that I have available is pretty basic (no oven; but a microwave oven with grill and a separate gas stove). I also have a hand-held blender.

My pantry can consist of (classified as best I can; it's likely that I've forgotten a couple of things, but not much):

Dairy:

Milk
Eggs
Cheese (cheapest; somewhat softer and less flavourful than Cheddar)

Meat:

Liver-sausage

Produce:

Potatoes
Onions (white)
Broccoli
Carrots
Peas
Brussels sprouts
Baked beans
Tomatoes
Apples
Bananas
Oranges

Grains:

Museli
Flour
Cornflour
Bread (brown but not wholemeal) [Flour comes from grains and bread comes from flour...]
Sugar (white and brown/unrefined?) [If sugar isn't a grain, what is it?]
Rice (brown and white)

Herbs and spices:

Fresh parsley
Fresh chives
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Monosodium glutamate

Other:

Mustard (French and 'seedy')
Peanut butter (smooth)
Oil (sunflower, peanut and olive)
Chicken and beef stock cubes
Baking powder
Yeast
Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
Meat, at least where I live, is quite expensive compared to vegetables, per unit weight, so the only meat product that I tend to buy is 'leverwurst' (liver-sausage) which contains a large proportion of vegetable anyway.

I prefer to avoid things which I believe are devoid of nutritional value (mushrooms, cucumber, lettuce - I prefer fibre sources to also provide vitamins/minerals).
You might want to reconsider this conclusion. Certain mushrooms, cucumbers, and romaine lettuce are great sources of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Check out this site (which also includes some healthy, tasty recipes): The World's Healthiest Foods
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You might want to reconsider this conclusion. Certain mushrooms, cucumbers, and romaine lettuce are great sources of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
After some research, mushrooms do appear to be better value than I had been led to believe, and the lettuce, despite being 96% water, also has levels of vitamins worth considering. However cucumber, perhaps being the wateriest of the bunch, contains too few vitamins (concentration) per 100g that I'll keep it off the list. Thanks for the heads up. (modifying my original post)
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We already have a sub forum for this exact thing - I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative.

Hope this helps.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
After some research, mushrooms do appear to be better value than I had been led to believe, and the lettuce, despite being 96% water, also has levels of vitamins worth considering. However cucumber, perhaps being the wateriest of the bunch, contains too few vitamins (concentration) per 100g that I'll keep it off the list. Thanks for the heads up. (modifying my original post)
Greener lettuces are healthier. I only use iceberg on my burgers.

All you need to add is chicken to your kitchen and you can make 3 bazillion dishes.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Greener lettuces are healthier. I only use iceberg on my burgers.

All you need to add is chicken to your kitchen and you can make 3 bazillion dishes.
Actually, romaine is much healthier than iceberg: Ice Berg and Romaine Lettuce Nutrition
Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #20
Master Chef

Originally I liked going to places like allrecipes.com and providing ingredients to get recipe ideas back. But now I like the idea of coming here and hearing from folks what they would do with the ingredients. A lot of what they come up with is more creative plus they state why they like it etc instead of just a recipe, so it is more personal.
Now I just go there only if I don't get a lot of responses here.