"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Cook

Bummer, no tamales today. The store front that they are sold from on Tuesdays isn't open today. I hope they are just taking a break and haven't called it quits.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Executive Chef

If I could find tamales here, I would not need a recipe.
This dish is very well suited to take out. It looks like a labor intensive project to say the least.
I have not decided if I want to put this much time into tamales just yet.
They look simple enough, but it looks like an all day job.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If I could find tamales here, I would not need a recipe.
This dish is very well suited to take out. It looks like a labor intensive project to say the least.
I have not decided if I want to put this much time into tamales just yet.
They look simple enough, but it looks like an all day job.
Last time i bought some tamales I mentioned that I would like to try to make them some day. The lady smiled and said they are a lot of work, which is the reason they only sell them one day a week.
While growing up my mother and one of her co-workers would take one saturday and make tamales for both families, enough for the day and a bunch for the freezer. Always in the fall when the corn husks and right corn meal where available, at the time these were specialty ingredients only available at the end of harvest that the stores brought in for the migrant worker community. I miss the smell, all burners going with different meats and steamers.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
Last time i bought some tamales I mentioned that I would like to try to make them some day. The lady smiled and said they are a lot of work, which is the reason they only sell them one day a week.
While growing up my mother and one of her co-workers would take one saturday and make tamales for both families, enough for the day and a bunch for the freezer. Always in the fall when the corn husks and right corn meal where available, at the time these were specialty ingredients only available at the end of harvest that the stores brought in for the migrant worker community. I miss the smell, all burners going with different meats and steamers.
I was at a wedding once where tamales were served. The mother and the aunt of the bride made them at home.
I asked about making so many for the crowd and she replied that they always make way more than needed and making them for the wedding was no different than when she just made them for no occasion..

I think I understand the reasoning now.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

If you have a filling made for it already, it doesn't take all that long, depending on how many you make, of course. You can make the filling the day or night before in a slow cooker and the dough is quick to mix in a food processor. It goes much faster and is more fun if there are two of you. DH and I made about 50 in a couple of hours once.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

GG is so right about not trying to do everything the same day, and having help.

Anyone who claims otherwise is bragging and/or delusional. I vividly remember my log ago one and only bout with a ton of tamales alone in my kitchen in tears at 2 am.
Never ever again.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Yes, I second the idea of not trying to do all in one day.

I could do the meat and put it in the fridge for a couple days and even freeze it until I need it.
Now, I need to see if whole kernel corn is a requirement.
Several recipes call for only masa. But real corn kernels do sound like they would "kick it up" in the words of EL.

I need to get a turkey this weekend, I may just pick up a pork roast while I am in the market.
I have 4 Lbs of boneless country style ribs downstairs in the freezer. I am thinking they would work just fine?

I will make this dish. But I will not make many of them. It seems the more you have to make, the harder it is?
Besides, its only me and my beautiful wife.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't like the ones without whole corn kernels - they taste bland to me. I love the pop of sweetness with the savory meat and some spicy sauce. And that's how the Bolivian sisters who own a nearby South American-themed restaurant make theirs.

Tags
eating