"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Remove Sweetness from Sweet Potatoes

What's up everyone? I've been avoiding high glycemic foods for the past couple of years, and not being able to eat potatoes is killing me!

I tried sweet potatoes but they're just WAY too sweet for me. Is there anyway I can remove that sweetness? I'm getting bored with the food I'm eating, I want to make some mashed "sweet" potatoes and smother them with gravy haha. Can anyone help?

sarge_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I enjoy a baked sweet potato with balsamic vinegar salt ans pepper. THis makes it much more savory and very delish.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
I just read that cider vinegar might help help reduce sweetness. Would balsamic or cider vinegar work best if I mashed them? How much would I use and how would I prepare it?

I might add some lowfat cheese or cream cheese to them as well. Not sure how it'd taste but that sweetness has to go.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Potatoes are made of starch, which, beginning with our saliva, turns starch into sugar. It's the nature of our digestive chemistry to convert certain types of foods into fats and sugars for storage in our body... and potato starch is one of them.

Now, as to whether you can mask the flavor of the sweetness, I'm certain some of that can be accomplished by previous suggestions, such as the use of vinegar or extreme saltiness to name just two. And some people are more sensitive to sweet things than others. It's a genetic kind of thing. But actually doing away with the sweet/sugar starch flavor that you object to, isn't going to happen... IMHO.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Just to say, I love potatoes, but sweet potatoes ain't one of them. I've tried baked and fried and they are too sweet for me, also. They are one of those foods I've tried to like, but can't get past the texture and sweetness combination.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Master Chef
Oh, how funny! I've always wondered why people add sugar (or honey, or whatever) to a root that is plenty sweet.

I have very thinly sliced them (often other kinds of potatoes as well) along with onions and garlic, tossed in olive oil and your favorite seasonings, spread thinly on a baking sheet (or even, more prettily, on a glass pie or quiche pan in coincentric circles), then bake. Nice and crispy, and not too sweet.

Bake a sweet potato as you would any (little longer, they're more fibrous). When ready, cut open, use whatever butter/margarine you like, then some (depending upon your dietary needs), yogurt, sour cream, ranch dressing (I find most bottled too sweet for my taste, so make my own using yogurt or buttermilk and mayo and herbs, dry in winter, fresh in summer). The sour-ness of the buttermilk/sour cream/creme fraiche/ yogurt really works with the sweet potato.

On top of that I read once that a meal of a baked sweet potato and glass of buttermilk is one of the cheapest, most nutritious meals there is. So make your own buttermilk or yogurt dressing. The tart will go great with the sweet and you have a highly nutritious meal. So either would be good to counter a mashed sweet potato.

I'm bad with temps and times, I always refer back to good old Joy for those basics.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Yellow flesh sweet potatoes and not as sweet as orange fleshed sweet potatoes. Perhaps you could try them instead.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Make yourself some sweet potato fries, and dip them in Kraft Chipotle mayonnaise instead of ketchup. The roasted jalopy pepper flavor will negate a lot of their sweetness.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Haha man I love that Kraft Chipotle mayo.

Well I'll try the vinegar thing and I have a pretty high tolerance for salt so I'll go heavy on that. Maybe I'll sneak in a regular potato with the other sweet potatoes to kind of spread out all that sweetness.

Worst case I'll pile on the low fat cheese or sour cream and salt to just hide the sweetness.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Head Chef
Cut them in wedges, toss them in extra virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Cajun seasoning, cumin powder..., and roast them. Sprinkle with lime juice or lemon juice when done.

"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote

potatoes, sweet