Risks of Homemade Infused Oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenn93

Assistant Cook
I'm sorry if this topic has been overdone, but it's new to me.

I've been reading that there's quite some concern over infusing bulbs and herbs in oil. There's a risk of Botulism. From what I read, the spores are carried around on most vegetables, but in oil at room temp. is the perfect enviroment for them to become deadly.

Recently I had chopped some hot peppers and taken some spices, put them in a jar, added sunflower oil, sealed the lid, and refrigerated it. I had also taken a recently used up store bought bottle of oil with the herbs still in it, and refilled the bottle with sunflower oil, which I also refrigerated.

I was told that so long as I do not heat up the oil and herbs etc. together, and keep it in the fridge, it should be fine. However, it's apparently very risky, so I want a second opinion.

Just wanna be careful. Thanks!

You are right to be concerned. Homemade infused oils should be kept in the fridge and used within about 10 days. As you mentioned, botulism is the risk.

Any fresh herb or vegetable in oil carries the risk of botulism.

Botulism loves an anerobic environment (no air) and warmth, so you are right that oil at room temp is very bad.

But botulism continues to live in refrigerated oil. It just doesn't grow as fast. So you should only keep infused oil in the fridge for 10 days or so, like GB says.

If you do a quick google search you'll find tons of info on this.

Interesting. What about all the oils you find in shops with herbs and the like infusing in them? I've seen some in perfume shops with oranges and other things in that clearly state they are not for consumption. But sometimes you do see oils that seem to be for use. Are they treated in some way?

Yes those commercially prepared oils are treated (pasteurized maybe?) is some way so that you do not have the same risks as if you did it yourself.

I hear citric acid is a key in keeping those oils "clean" - is potassium nitrate the same as citric acid? Can you tell I di'int pay attention in chemistry?

They are not technically Pasteurized but the oil has either been boiled for some length of time or acidified. Or should be. This is why you don't want to buy such things at craft fairs and places where they may not be made to commercial standards.

Thanks GB and Jennyema. It's the kind of thing you occasionally see for home-made Christmas presents in magazines. Obviously articles written by people with no idea! I won't be making any, that's for sure.

kitchenelf said:
I hear citric acid is a key in keeping those oils "clean" - is potassium nitrate the same as citric acid? Can you tell I di'int pay attention in chemistry?

Potassium nitrate is salt peter. It's used to preserve meats. It's a salt and not an acid, I believe.

Before I new better I made a pepper, garlic oil in a pretty bottle, corked it and let it set on the counter to let the flavors marry. It did not take long and it was full of bubbles. I did not use and through it away. If you want to make an oil heat some in a pan, add your flavoring over low heat ( herbs, leeks, garlic, citrus zests ect.) and use it that night. They taste great and you will be safe.

JDP

Jenny - yea, I knew it was salt peter which should have been my first clue? geez, do you ever regret posting something sometimes? :LOL:

What about the oils like Flay uses (i.e. EVOO & Basil puree)? How do you store them and what's the shelf life?

"If you want to make an oil heat some in a pan, add your flavoring over low heat ( herbs, leeks, garlic, citrus zests ect.) and use it that night. They taste great and you will be safe." JDP

I agree. THose butter warmers you've bought and never use are perfect for cooking up a batch of flavored oil for tonight!

I often chop too much garlic, or make too much pesto, and I'll cover it in oil and fridge it. But it gets used in a few days or tossed.

Back
Top Bottom