"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
For what it's worth, we grow San Marzano tomatoes in our garden and wouldn't plant anything else. They are wonderful. Great for canning and they make awesome sauce.
There is a difference between San Marzano tomatoes that you grow yourself and ones grown in the San Marzano region of Italy. That is not to say that your tomatoes will not be delicious. The reason San Marzanos from Italy are so prized and different is because of the soil they are grown in.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

That is true wherever you grow things. I do know that I buy certified San Marzano seed and they are best plum/roma tomatoes I've every grown. I've been growing tomatoes since 1987 and I've tried many varieties.. I like SMs because they have the most flavor and they don't turn "watery" when you make sauce, paste, etc.

FWIW, I don't like Ontario milk--the feed fed to the dairy cows doesn't render the milk as sweet as milk from cows fed a clover mix. I love WI milk or VT milk.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That is true wherever you grow things.
This might seem like splitting hairs, but in this case I really do not think it is. Yes, soil differences play a role in any produce that is grown and different soils will contribute to taste variation in anything grown, but there is a difference between that and something being specifically prized because of the specific soil it was grown in. San Marzano soil has a very high volcanic ash content which dramatically changes the taste and chemical composition of the tomato. Again, I am not saying that San Marzano tomatoes grown elsewhere are not great. They are different than ones grown in that particular soil though and it is the soil that is the reason they are so prized and need to be certified as authentic.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This might seem like splitting hairs, but in this case I really do not think it is. Yes, soil differences play a role in any produce that is grown and different soils will contribute to taste variation in anything grown, but there is a difference between that and something being specifically prized because of the specific soil it was grown in. San Marzano soil has a very high volcanic ash content which dramatically changes the taste and chemical composition of the tomato. Again, I am not saying that San Marzano tomatoes grown elsewhere are not great. They are different than ones grown in that particular soil though and it is the soil that is the reason they are so prized and need to be certified as authentic.
I think it has to be the seeds too. You can buy tomatoes from San Marzano that aren't certified and aren't as good, even though they are growing in volcanic soil.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Yes that is true taxlady.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I have looked in all the regular or special grocers around and no san marzano in sight. only found them in a world market but they only have the pureed version. Does anyone know of a reliable online source?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here's some more info on the certifications: Pastene, san marzano tomatoes, imported from italy

Click on this link.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Click on this link.
thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
For what it's worth, we grow San Marzano tomatoes in our garden and wouldn't plant anything else. They are wonderful. Great for canning and they make awesome sauce.
San Marzano is both a denomination of origin and a variety.

Like GB said, the reason the real canned SM tomatoes grown in the San Marzano region of Italy are so special is because of the soil they grow in. Sandy, volcanic soil from Mt Vezuvius (sp?). Like grapes (or reallyanything you grow), soil has a great deal to do with the flavor and texture you get from tomatoes.

You can grow them from seeds anywhere, but they don'e have the same taste as the real deal from Italy.

I have started to grow them every year in my garden and there's really no comparison beween mine and a high quality canned SM.

Mine are getting planted this weekend.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
I have looked in all the regular or special grocers around and no san marzano in sight. only found them in a world market but they only have the pureed version. Does anyone know of a reliable online source?
Go to Arthur Ave's website.

I've never seen a better selection of high quality canned tomatoes then when I was strolling about in that part of the Bronx.

Tags
tomatoes