Sharp table knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Table knives

Does anyone else sharpen their every day table knives?
For everyday use I use a set of British sterling flatware I inherited.
I have a knife sharpener I use to keep the table knives nice and sharp. The sharpening doesn't ruin the look of the knife. You can't even notice the sharp edge.
I always get a smile when a quest exclaims "Wow this knife cut through the steak like butter!"
Anyone else keep their table knives sharp?

My thoughts are that I would never put a stone, let alone a knife sharpener, to an inheritable sterling knife.

I would buy a quality set of compatible steak knives.

My thoughts are that I would never put a stone, let alone a knife sharpener, to an inheritable sterling knife.

I am with you on that one. My mother's set had the rounded top edges. They stayed sharp just through use. And they were old. They were a wedding present for her grandmother. Her mother inherited them and then my mother. I didn't want them. To much work keeping them polished. I know, they were in special cloths. But they still tarnish a bit. My sister had her own set, and when she died her kids didn't want any of her silver serving pieces or table settings. For the same reason. :angel:

I would never use a 'stone'. The sharpener I use puts an edge on the knives that can't be easily noticed.
I use the British Sterling silver set for everyday.
My mother wouldn't even use the set for special occasions like Christmas dinner. I could never figure that out.
My kids couldn't care less about 'inheriting' a set of anything so 'precious' they wouldn't use it daily.

Table knife? Do you mean butter knife? Or steak? Why would you sharpen butter knife?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

When I posted 'table knife' I was referring to what some call a 'dinner knife'.
I sharpen the 'table/dinner' knives so I don't need to use a 'steak knife'.
Steak knives IMO are redundant. Just another six-eight pieces of cutlery to deal with.

When I posted 'table knife' I was referring to what some call a 'dinner knife'.
I sharpen the 'table/dinner' knives so I don't need to use a 'steak knife'.
Steak knives IMO are redundant. Just another six-eight pieces of cutlery to deal with.

Instead you deal with having to sharpen more knives, more often. To each his own.

I don't like using a sharper knife than necessary. In my opinion that's just an accident waiting to happen, whether at the table or during the clean up. Some of the nastiest cuts I've had were from knives that had been dropped unknown into the dishwater, or were placed in the dishwasher rack point up, etc. By only using such sharp knives as necessary, I minimize the threat.

For 95% of the meals I cook, a sharpened knife is unnecessary (for many no knife at all is needed). For the other 5%, I'll deal with the massive chore of adding a steak knife to the setting.

Every decent professional line cook and chef on the planet prizes themselves on having razor sharp knives.
Dull knives cause more cuts then sharp knives. I think I learned this fact was I was eight years old in Boy Scouts.
Anyone who is getting cuts b/c the sharp knives are floating around in a dishwasher is.......well........
I concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm washing sharp knives. This saves me money in using band aids.
I sharpen the dinner knives like twice a year. Each one takes about a minute.
I can spare the time.
Each to their own. Indeed.

Every decent professional line cook and chef on the planet prizes themselves on having razor sharp knives.
Dull knives cause more cuts then sharp knives. I think I learned this fact was I was eight years old in Boy Scouts.
Anyone who is getting cuts b/c the sharp knives are floating around in a dishwasher is.......well........
I concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm washing sharp knives. This saves me money in using band aids.
I can spare the time.

No one in their right mind would put sharp knives into a sink full of dishwater. I keep my knives on the counter top next to the sink and hand was them separately.

I disagree that dull knives cause more cuts than sharp ones. Not paying attention to what you're doing or not using proper technique is the culprit.

I can spare the time.

No one in their right mind would put sharp knives into a sink full of dishwater. I keep my knives on the counter top next to the sink and hand was them separately.

I disagree that dull knives cause more cuts than sharp ones. Not paying attention to what you're doing or not using proper technique is the culprit.

Never heard of anyone being accidentally cut by a table knife. Except maybe at Puffin's. ;)

I don't put sharp knives in the dishwater either, but I'm always not the only person in the kitchen either. I can be certain that nobody will get cut with any of my table knives, and when I set the table with steak knives, cleanup is handled properly.

The typical table knife is sharp enough to cut anything, even a tender steak, and do it safely (although a steak knife still makes the most sense). Sharpening is unnecessary for it's usually intended application. The only time a dull knife is hazardous is when one has to use extra force when one's hand or finger is in the danger zone as in prep work. I don't hold my food with my fingers to cut it at the table - I use a fork to hold the food when cutting with the knife.

Last edited:
Why Dull Knives are More Dangerous in the Kitchen
Those people at ATK don't know what they're talking about right? LOLOLOL!

"Those people at ATK" are the drama queens of cooking shows. Have you ever watched their show where they show an exaggerated awful, mess of a dish and then proceed to tell you how theirs will be perfect. Have you ever watched them taste their cooking followed by a series of "Mmmmm's". Then they proclaim this is the "Best XXX Ever". They exaggerate throughout the show to sell their point.

The dull knife was such a comment to sell the knife sharpener.

Here are my thoughts on the topic. I recognize this is only my opinion and yours differs.

You have a nice sharp knife. Slices through everything with hardly an effort. A joy to use and you use it everyday, day after day, week after week, etc. Gradually the knife gets duller with use. You may or may not notice at first but your brain automatically adjusts to the knife's performance. Eventually, the knife will get so dull that it's not a good tool anymore. However, your brain is not surprised by this as it has been adjusting all along. It's not as if the knife was sharp and cutting great then all of a sudden, you pick it up and it's dull so you cut yourself.

I contend it's carelessness that causes cuts. The one time you're not paying attention or try to do something you don't usually do is when you cut yourself. The difference getting cut with a dull knife vs. a sharp knife is that the cut from the dull knife hurts a lot more.

"Dull knives are more dangerous" is one of those kitchen maxims like "searing seals in flavor" and "potatoes draw salt out of your soup" that people often quote. They all are incorrect.

When I googled 'Dull knives are dangerous' I got about 371,000 'hits'.
It seems some people agree.
I'm guessing even dear old Carl Sagan would agree. LOL
This is my last post on this subject. I have to get my knife sharpener out.

When I googled 'Dull knives are dangerous' I got about 371,000 'hits'.
It seems some people agree.
I'm guessing even dear old Carl Sagan would agree. LOL
This is my last post on this subject. I have to get my knife sharpener out.

I was just expressing my opinion.

Never heard of anyone being accidentally cut by a table knife. Except maybe at Puffin's. ;)

I don't put sharp knives in the dishwater either, but I'm always not the only person in the kitchen either. I can be certain that nobody will get cut with any of my table knives, and when I set the table with steak knives, cleanup is handled properly.

The typical table knife is sharp enough to cut anything, even a tender steak, and do it safely (although a steak knife still makes the most sense). Sharpening is unnecessary for it's usually intended application. The only time a dull knife is hazardous is when one has to use extra force when one's hand or finger is in the danger zone as in prep work. I don't hold my food with my fingers to cut it at the table - I use a fork to hold the food when cutting with the knife.
Exactly. The worst that is likely to happen when someone presses too hard with a dull table knife to cut up supper is that food goes flying.

"Those people at ATK" are the drama queens of cooking shows. Have you ever watched their show where they show an exaggerated awful, mess of a dish and then proceed to tell you how theirs will be perfect. Have you ever watched them taste their cooking followed by a series of "Mmmmm's". Then they proclaim this is the "Best XXX Ever". They exaggerate throughout the show to sell their point.

The dull knife was such a comment to sell the knife sharpener.

Here are my thoughts on the topic. I recognize this is only my opinion and yours differs.

You have a nice sharp knife. Slices through everything with hardly an effort. A joy to use and you use it everyday, day after day, week after week, etc. Gradually the knife gets duller with use. You may or may not notice at first but your brain automatically adjusts to the knife's performance. Eventually, the knife will get so dull that it's not a good tool anymore. However, your brain is not surprised by this as it has been adjusting all along. It's not as if the knife was sharp and cutting great then all of a sudden, you pick it up and it's dull so you cut yourself.

I contend it's carelessness that causes cuts. The one time you're not paying attention or try to do something you don't usually do is when you cut yourself. The difference getting cut with a dull knife vs. a sharp knife is that the cut from the dull knife hurts a lot more.

"Dull knives are more dangerous" is one of those kitchen maxims like "searing seals in flavor" and "potatoes draw salt out of your soup" that people often quote. They all are incorrect.

I am with you Andy. Aside from ALL the bowls they use for their recipes, I takes their tips with a grain of salt. I cut my finger many moons ago when I got my 12" Shun knife as a gift. Brand spanking new and while taking it out of the box to admire it I got a cut. I proceeded to give it to Spike who uses it all the time. I also gave him my electric Chefs Choice knife sharpener.

I have a small stone wheel that came from a knife shapener's cart. He used to walk around the neighborhood pushing his little cart during my mother's childhood. He was also a friend of my grandmother's. And he mended tea kettles and pots also. When he died, his widow gave the stone to my grandmother. When my mother died, it was the only thing I wanted. My mother swore by that stone. A couple of swipes on the edge, and then a couple of more across the smooth top sharpens my knives very well. The edge is very rough and removes and sharpen any dull edge on my knife. The smooth part on top takes out any burrs. There is a hole right through the middle of it where it would turn as he pushed his pedal back and forth.

You can keep Chefs Choice. My knives do not need any electricity to sharpen. Just a couple of swipes and it is like it was the day I bought it. Sorry ATK. You can keep your tips and all the dirty bowls. I don't have a dishwasher.

I think the only reason I watch ATK now is just for the entertainment in seeing just how many bowls they can dirty up. If my recipe calls for baking powder, I have the can right at hand. I don't need a bowl to put it in first.

BTW, I have only one steak knife. There are benefits to living alone. Less knives to wash. :angel:

Last edited:
I love my Chef's Choice, but it only comes out of storage a couple of times a year. It puts such a good edge on my knives that just a couple of swipes with the hone keeps them sharp for months. In the years that I've owned it, I've only used the first stage one time, for a horribly abused knife that I rescued from my Mom's kitchen after she passed. Otherwise, the second stage fine stone and the hone are all I've ever had to use, and then only when my honing steel fails to renew the edge.

We use our electric Chef's Choice every few months, especially when DH needs to be occupied and to feel useful. He LOVES to sharpen knives! Every weekend I'm asked if we have any knives to be sharpened. If I let him sharpen all our knives as often as he asks, I would have very tiny knives. But they would be incredibly sharp!

I got my Chefs Choice many years ago. A store was going out of business and it was the last one on the shelf. There was no price tag on it and I got it for $5.00. And now my son is the proud owner of it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom