"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,229
Table knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Does anyone else sharpen their every day table knives?
For everyday use I use a set of British sterling flatware I inherited.
I have a knife sharpener I use to keep the table knives nice and sharp. The sharpening doesn't ruin the look of the knife. You can't even notice the sharp edge.
I always get a smile when a quest exclaims "Wow this knife cut through the steak like butter!"
Anyone else keep their table knives sharp?
My thoughts are that I would never put a stone, let alone a knife sharpener, to an inheritable sterling knife.

I would buy a quality set of compatible steak knives.
__________________

__________________
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
My thoughts are that I would never put a stone, let alone a knife sharpener, to an inheritable sterling knife.

I would buy a quality set of compatible steak knives.
I am with you on that one. My mother's set had the rounded top edges. They stayed sharp just through use. And they were old. They were a wedding present for her grandmother. Her mother inherited them and then my mother. I didn't want them. To much work keeping them polished. I know, they were in special cloths. But they still tarnish a bit. My sister had her own set, and when she died her kids didn't want any of her silver serving pieces or table settings. For the same reason.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
Senior Cook
 
puffin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duncan
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
My thoughts are that I would never put a stone, let alone a knife sharpener, to an inheritable sterling knife.

I would buy a quality set of compatible steak knives.
I would never use a 'stone'. The sharpener I use puts an edge on the knives that can't be easily noticed.
I use the British Sterling silver set for everyday.
My mother wouldn't even use the set for special occasions like Christmas dinner. I could never figure that out.
My kids couldn't care less about 'inheriting' a set of anything so 'precious' they wouldn't use it daily.
__________________
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,395
Table knife? Do you mean butter knife? Or steak? Why would you sharpen butter knife?


Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Why would you sharpen butter knife?
That was my question too.

But if you want sharp go Black Arkansas stone.

Might take some work and practice but you can get a surgical edge.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #26
Senior Cook
 
puffin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duncan
Posts: 482
When I posted 'table knife' I was referring to what some call a 'dinner knife'.
I sharpen the 'table/dinner' knives so I don't need to use a 'steak knife'.
Steak knives IMO are redundant. Just another six-eight pieces of cutlery to deal with.
__________________
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #27
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
When I posted 'table knife' I was referring to what some call a 'dinner knife'.
I sharpen the 'table/dinner' knives so I don't need to use a 'steak knife'.
Steak knives IMO are redundant. Just another six-eight pieces of cutlery to deal with.
Instead you deal with having to sharpen more knives, more often. To each his own.

I don't like using a sharper knife than necessary. In my opinion that's just an accident waiting to happen, whether at the table or during the clean up. Some of the nastiest cuts I've had were from knives that had been dropped unknown into the dishwater, or were placed in the dishwasher rack point up, etc. By only using such sharp knives as necessary, I minimize the threat.

For 95% of the meals I cook, a sharpened knife is unnecessary (for many no knife at all is needed). For the other 5%, I'll deal with the massive chore of adding a steak knife to the setting.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
For 95% of the meals I cook, a sharpened knife is unnecessary (for many no knife at all is needed). For the other 5%, I'll deal with the massive chore of adding a steak knife to the setting.

Amen
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #29
Senior Cook
 
puffin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duncan
Posts: 482
Every decent professional line cook and chef on the planet prizes themselves on having razor sharp knives.
Dull knives cause more cuts then sharp knives. I think I learned this fact was I was eight years old in Boy Scouts.
Anyone who is getting cuts b/c the sharp knives are floating around in a dishwasher is.......well........
I concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm washing sharp knives. This saves me money in using band aids.
I sharpen the dinner knives like twice a year. Each one takes about a minute.
I can spare the time.
Each to their own. Indeed.
__________________
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Every decent professional line cook and chef on the planet prizes themselves on having razor sharp knives.
Dull knives cause more cuts then sharp knives. I think I learned this fact was I was eight years old in Boy Scouts.
Anyone who is getting cuts b/c the sharp knives are floating around in a dishwasher is.......well........
I concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm washing sharp knives. This saves me money in using band aids.
I sharpen the dinner knives like twice a year. Each one takes about a minute.
I can spare the time.
Each to their own. Indeed.
No one in their right mind would put sharp knives into a sink full of dishwater. I keep my knives on the counter top next to the sink and hand was them separately.

I disagree that dull knives cause more cuts than sharp ones. Not paying attention to what you're doing or not using proper technique is the culprit.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knives

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.