Sharp table knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one in their right mind would put sharp knives into a sink full of dishwater. I keep my knives on the counter top next to the sink and hand was them separately.

I disagree that dull knives cause more cuts than sharp ones. Not paying attention to what you're doing or not using proper technique is the culprit.

Or "helpful" people dropping sharp knives into your dishwater...I had to 2 x 4 train Shrek on that one.

Or "helpful" people dropping sharp knives into your dishwater...I had to 2 x 4 train Shrek on that one.

If the person who put the knife in the sink or dishwasher is the recipient of damage from the business end of said knife, the potential to repeat such action is greatly reduced, IMO.:ROFLMAO:

Nothing sharp or pointy is ever left point-up at my house. Stirling has no depth perception, so it's just too dangerous.

Wrong things have gone in the sink. It was guests. Guests are now told not to put anything in the sink, under threat of yelling. After a Solstice party, I found my new (used two or three times) digital thermometer submerged in water in the sink. grrrr

Whether it's friends or family, they either already know or are told to do nothing. My daughters will clear the table to the kitchen counter but no more. Two reasons, first, I don't want to waste guest time with their washing the dishes and second, I have my way of doing things.

I really should take notes from what my mom used to do:

She had 2 tubs similar to what bus boys used - 1 for plates, etc and the other for silverware. Neither had water in it, but both were very clearly labelled. Her guests (including us) always respected her wishes and nobody got cut. She had her own way of washing dishes and handling sharp knives.

I've never cut myself in all my years of cooking. My mom taught me safety skills that have served me well to this day.

My sharp knives get rinsed off and set aside on the counter for hand washing. They are always separate from all the dishwasher stuff.

My sharp knives get rinsed off and set aside on the counter for hand washing. They are always separate from all the dishwasher stuff.

Unless I use one for slicing the meat right before serving, all of the knives I use for preparing the meal are washed and put away before sitting down to the table (I generally clean up as I go when cooking). If I use one at the last moment, then it's placed on the counter right next to the sink and it's the first thing I wash after the meal. Even if my wife is doing clean up, I will often still wash any remaining knives myself, because she doesn't tend to take care of them like I do.

Unless I use one for slicing the meat right before serving, all of the knives I use for preparing the meal are washed and put away before sitting down to the table (I generally clean up as I go when cooking). If I use one at the last moment, then it's placed on the counter right next to the sink and it's the first thing I wash after the meal. Even if my wife is doing clean up, I will often still wash any remaining knives myself, because she doesn't tend to take care of them like I do.
Pretty much the same here, but I leave the knives, lying flat, in the dish drainer. I try to wash them as soon as I have finished using them for a particular meal. Depending on what I have been cutting, a knife might get washed several times during prep. I wash knives for my spouse too, for the same reason.

I mention before that I picked up some cheap, extremely cheap set of knives, under "Emeril" name. Oh my. What a garbage. I had a hard time cutting a potato. Yes indeed dull knives are dangerous, if not for my hands then for my wellbeing. It was so frustrating...

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I mention before that I picked up some cheap, extremely cheap set of knives, under "Emeril" name. Oh my. What a garbage. I had a hard time cutting a potato. Yes indeed dull knives are dangerous, if not for my hands then for my wellbeing. It was so frustrating...

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I have never been one to buy "Celebrity!" Rachel Ray came along and with her orange colored pots and pans along with other kitchen stuff, she cleaned up. Pretty soon you began to hear rumblings of dissatisfaction. And the Wolfgang, Emeril, etc. Junk! I have never jumped on the Celebrity bandwagon. If you are one to spend most of your day in the kitchen, then splurge as much as you can afford and buy something better than "Celebrity." Now I recently saw that RR has a line of diet food program similar to Nutri-System. When did she become a licensed Dietician? It was a very short lived program. I haven't seen anything else on it. And can't even find anything on it.

But she doesn't need the money. She has three homes in New York. And along with her cooking items, she also hawks household items such as bedding. (I wonder if it comes in orange?)

I am glad that she has made it big. She came from nowhere and now look where she is. But I don't envy her. I don't think I ever wanted to work as hard as she does.

But she can't be all bad. She is a fan of The Boston Red Sox! :angel:

Last edited:
I still have and use daily some of the set of Emerilware that I bought 20 years ago, so not all of it is junk. This is heavy anodized aluminum nonstick. The next generation of "Emerilware" was junk, but the stuff I have was pretty good quality. The 8" and 10" skillets lost their non-stick properties about 8 or 9 years ago, but even that was probably from overheating it by me, not any fault of the pans. The other pots are still going strong, look like brand new. I also have a Mario Batali 9 quart enameled Dutch oven that I love, and it's just about as old as the Emerilware. It was overpriced, but still not as much so as Le Creuset (my no name 6 quart DO was $40 and does everything I ask of it).

I recently saw a genuine LC 4 1/2 quart for sale at a garage sale. Brand new for fifty bucks! The guy selling it said "It's only $50. If you want the lid it's an extra $50".
I was so POed I walked away. I didn't need one.....but still!.

I have never been one to buy "Celebrity!"

Neither am I. But we needed some knives and some cutting boards. I mostly bought it for Cutting boards. The set of 4 knives and 4 color coordinated cutting boards for $7 bucks was a good deal. Where else could I find it so cheap. I think I'll throw knives away and keep the boards.

Oh, and don't start me on RR :mad:, I cannot stand her that would be like declaration of a War. She is so polarizing, people ether like her or hate her. We have had few arguments about her going back to when FN had a forum. ;)

Neither am I. But we needed some knives and some cutting boards. I mostly bought it for Cutting boards. The set of 4 knives and 4 color coordinated cutting boards for $7 bucks was a good deal. Where else could I find it so cheap. I think I'll throw knives away and keep the boards.

Oh, and don't start me on RR :mad:, I cannot stand her that would be like declaration of a War. She is so polarizing, people ether like her or hate her. We have had few arguments about her going back to when FN had a forum. ;)

Count me in your corner regarding RR. I don't even want to type out her whole name. And she has gotten so FAT. I never comment on anyone's weight. I at one time was 4'9" tall at 180 lbs. But I managed to trim down. Cooking for five kids and a husband will do that to you. I know that problem too well. But she needs to find another profession that is not in the food industry. Her constant chatter and grin really gets to me after a while. I haven't watched her for at least 15 years. Not since I moved in here. And that is over 12 years.

Back
Top Bottom