"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...When he offers me a piece of his cake, I should say i prefer a twinkie instead...

Tell him you'd rather have ramen noodles!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Ramen Noodles. So I labored over the stove, got the 6 cups of water to a boil, added the 3 flavor packets, then the Noodles. A few minutes later, dinner is served.

Anyway,

Ill just assume its a teenage thing ( and not that my food taste like crap).

Just had to vent,

larry
Looks like you got the evening off, too! Small Miracles!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #13
Senior Cook

We had ramen noodles every Friday. The kids loved it and it was easy. What they didn't realize was that ramen was my clean out the fridge meal. All the left over veggies and meat were chopped and added to the pot! My son was always great about eating and always said he wanted to eat at home 'cause he liked my cooking. He was also my garden helper. Even in college he cooked for himself instead of eating out. We've had more fun sharing recipes, ethnic foods and cooking methods. My daughter, however, when she was out on her own would eat only mac and cheese! She was never my garden helper. When she'd visit my pantry was stuffed with those horrible blue boxes. After several years and several waist expansions she finally decided that perhaps Mom does know a thing or two about healthy eating! We now share recipes too. It took her until the age of 24 to realize this so don't expect changes overnight! I've received calls from both from AZ,CO, Maldive Islands and Australia that started with, " hi Mom, how do I make this dish". I'll just leave you with one of my Mom's phrases, "this too shall pass"!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I have been thinking about making the authentic stuff for about a week. I have to get myself to a specialty store so that I can get the Kombu. They don't sell that type of thing here. Having recently moved, I am a little starved for culture. There isn't even a coffee shop here.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
Cook

Larry I'm sure your cooking is GR8 but if you feed your children ramin noodles all week long, they will soon get bored and hate it.

I'm 13 and love my food. But Mum is firm and won't allow me to get picky. Once when I threw a mood she said "get your own dinner or go without and be hungry. I will not pannder to you." So I ate her food, it was lovely actually. And from then on I never gave her a hard time.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
On the bright side, dinner only cost me about 89 cents
On the dark side, have you any idea how much sodium they ingested? Those ramen packages are seriously all and only (and dangerously) about sodium.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Thats kids for you! I know I certainly didn't appreciate my mum's meals until I was older. All those meals I used to moan about (stew, braised steak & onions, casseroles etc) I now beg her to make for me and love them!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
So, I asked my kids ( 15 (boy) and 13 (girl)) what they wanted for dinner tonight. Its my day off. I love cooking ... So, what were my kids response??? Ramen Noodles. So I labored over the stove, got the 6 cups of water to a boil, added the 3 flavor packets, then the Noodles. A few minutes later, dinner is served.
Yep ... kids are funny.

Last week my culinary students breaded chicken breasts that had been stuffed with green chilies and pepper jack cheese. The breasts were pan fried and served with a chile sauce, herbed rice pilaf, and grilled asparagus.

The students did a great job but after eating their meal, one of the kids asked me when we would begin making "real food."

I asked him what he thought real food was.

The answer was pizza, fried chicken, tacos, and burgers i.e. fast food. After some additional thought, he added mac and cheese ... the Kraft instant mix not the made from scratch type.

(sigh)
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
Cook

Wait until your children are starving hungry. Keep them waiting til they whine. Am I sadistic? yes. Okay, now tantalize them with the smell of toast, and what they think they will dislike when seriously hungry, they will eat. Even beans on toast with grated cheese sprinkled over is something so good that I'm going to have it now.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
Head Chef

Don't feel bad. Not only do I have a teen-aged daughter who eats that way but I have a fully mature husband who thinks anything more exotic than chicken with mashed potatoes and canned corn is an experiment at his expense. Sometimes the Lord puts together the strangest combinations of people! I should have married a widowed farmer with 12 adult children who hate to cook but love to eat.