"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Shrimp in shell

I read that shrimp are better tasting if cooked in their shells ,is there anything to this?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Along a similar line, I heard that the dish picked up more flavor if the shrimp were left in their shells when added and cooked. I prefer peeling them ahead though, so everything is ready to eat and less messy

Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
In Thailand they eat the shells. I can't do it, but my husband does.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

In general ....yes! ~~ I "boil" shrimp in shell and with heads on. Also "BBQ" shrimp in shell with heads on. (Which has nothing to do with BBQ.) ~~ Most recipes call for peeled shrimp ~~ A stock can be made using shells and heads that add flavor to a recipe...or can be frozen for later use. HTH

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I've heard that there is alot of flavor in the heads, is it the pancrease or hepta pancre......or what ever it is. It's similar to crawfish and "suck'n the head", which IS very good.

The shell adds flavor and also can protect the meat from over cook'n, like on a grill/smoker.

Another idea is to peel the shrimp but throw the shells in w/the shrimp and just take out when the dish is ready.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I prefer them steamed in the shell. Some folks don't like the idea of eating the "vien" in peel & eat.

Craig
Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

While cooking in the shell may impart more flavor, there are circumstances where I don't want shrimp served to me in the shell or even with the tail piece attached. If I'm eating a pasta dish with shrimp, my fingers shouldn't have to get involved with the shrimp. There are more informal occasions when I don't mind eating with my fingers. Then it's OK.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While cooking in the shell may impart more flavor, there are circumstances where I don't want shrimp served to me in the shell or even with the tail piece attached. If I'm eating a pasta dish with shrimp, my fingers shouldn't have to get involved with the shrimp. There are more informal occasions when I don't mind eating with my fingers. Then it's OK.
True story: Years ago when I was living in Atlanta, I was dining at my favorite super-posh Italian restaurant (a place that looks like something right out of The Godfather). We were with a large group of my girlfriends celebrating someone's birthday, and our waiter Tony was having fun entertaining us.

I ordered the shrimp scampi, and having good Southern ladylike table manners didn't want to fish around in my pasta with my fingers to remove the tails. So I struggled with my knife and fork to gingerly remove the tail, when my shrimp suddenly broke free, slipped through the buttery sauce and flew across the table. Tony was watching all of this, highly amused, then stepped in to assist me before I (in his words) "hurt someone". He then taught me a technique that I use to this day.

Take the flat side of the dinner knife (the one without the teeth of course) and press it into the joint of the tailfin and the tail. Then stab the meat with your fork, pull gently and....voila.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
...Take the flat side of the dinner knife (the one without the teeth of course) and press it into the joint of the tailfin and the tail. Then stab the meat with your fork, pull gently and....voila.

Your experience demonstrates why the tails should have been removed. That there is an easier way to get the tails off doesn't make it OK in my mind.

Your dinner guest shouldn't have to work to eat their meal. That work belongs in the kitchen.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your experience demonstrates why the tails should have been removed. That there is an easier way to get the tails off doesn't make it OK in my mind.

Your dinner guest shouldn't have to work to eat their meal. That work belongs in the kitchen.
I guess we should never invite folks over for steamed crabs or a crawfish boil then? Pickin and peelin are all part of the fun. A couple cases of iced down Abita beer and Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I agree that certain meals should not have your guest working. I was just funnin ya.

Craig

Tags
shrimp