"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How do you eat spaghetti? Are you a
Slurper 2 4.55%
Twirler - no spoon 31 70.45%
Twirler with spoon 6 13.64%
Cut it up with knife or fork 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Master Chef

Usually a fork-only twirler. But occasionally, I add the spoon. My question:
how do you not fill your mouth with a yummy glob of spicy, saucy spaghetti, with a chunk of meat on the fork, with every bite. Spaghetti has never been a dainty dish for me. If it were calorie and carb free, I would devour the stuff like it was water. When spaghetti was made in our home, when I was a child, that was a special day for me. When I tasted spaghetti with actual herbs and spices in it (my stepfather, though he was an incredible man, didn't like oregano or basil), when I moved out of my parent's home, I was so excited over the new flavors, that the watery sauce made no difference to me. And then, I began to learn to cook. I played with herbs and spices like a chemist with a brand new chemistry set. I learned which worked together, and with what foods. And my made my own signature flavored sauce that I still love to this day. Alas, by DW suffers from an over-sensitive tongue, and I have to make separate sauces for her an me to satisfy both of our tastes.

My one pasta regret is that i didnt' learn to make my Dad's goulash/slumgullion/whater-you-want-to-call-it. It was deliscious, and though mine is pretty good, his was better.

Ah marinara sauce; when made right, it has few equals. Just don't add raisins and cinnamon. I learned that the hard way. Don't ask, it was just a desire to save a sauce after an accident..

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ah marinara sauce; when made right, it has few equals
Now, please, I WANT your recipe!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Fork Twirler, and depending on the type of Ribbon Pasta, sometimes, a Spoon ...

Fun Post.
Ciao, Margaux.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Now, please, I WANT your recipe!
I can give you the ingredients, but not the recipe as I add a little, then let it cook in, and taste it. I do this with all of the ingrediants until it tastes right. Here's what goes in:

12 oz. diced tomatoes
12 oz. tomato puree
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh oregano, chiffonade
Fresh basil, chiffonade
crushed rosemary
fresh thyme, chiffonade
browned ground beef, or diced chicken

Heat the tomato ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Sweat the onion and add to the sauce. Add herbs and garlic. Stir, cover, and simmer for thirty minutes. Add meat. let cook another thirty minutes, no more. Adjust the herbs until it tastes great to you. Remove from the heat and cool in an ice bath. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors distribute themselves evenly through the sauce. Reheat and serve with pasta.

I don't simmer mine for hours as my stove isn't up to the task without scorching the sauce. Also, I find that the meat becomes mushy that way. Refrigerating overnight is a gentler way to mature the sauce to perfection, IMHO.

I guess I add about a tsp. of each herb to start, and then end up adding a bit more oregano, and more basil (the most pronounced flavor in the sauce, but not by much). I want to be able to taste all of the ingredients in balance with each other, and use only a little salt, so as to let the fresh tomato flavor shine through. The thyme is essential, but must not sing too loudly. It accentuates, as does the rosemary. The stars are oregano, basil, and tomato. A little EVOO to dress the sauce is good as well, or a little truffle oil to finish it.

On occasion, I'll add a little fennel, or taragon, and black pepper, just to change things up, but only occasionally. That's how I make it.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
Executive Chef

fork only twirler
Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean
fork only twirler
+1
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Twirler here , no spoon.

I am pretty sure I have been accused of slurping and sucking it up like it was a straw and making noises and getting it in my beard and and it's hard to defend yourself when polite manners dictate you shouldn't talk back with your mouth full although sometimes a good sauce requires puttiing as much in your mouth at once for that full flavored goodness.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Fork only, twirling slurper!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I am a fork-only twirler by nature, but there is an exception:
If it's served on a plate vs. a bowl, and the plate is filled edge to edge leaving nowhere against which to twirl my fork. I ran into this issue when I got a plate of linguini on a smaller paper plate and had nowhere to twirl my fork so a spoon was really helpful until some of the plate cleared up. If I don't have something to twirl my fork against, I end up with too big of a bite since it just keeps pulling more and more on the fork.
Besides tasting amazing, I also like adding parmesan to my pasta so that it congeals a bit and makes the pasta stay twirled up on the fork without wanting to unravel as much. I also MUCH prefer linguini over spaghetti for this reason as it tends to want to lay flat and stay on the fork more easily.

Obviously I've never given this topic a second thought in my entire life.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm like luca. usually a fork only twirler, but i'll use a spoon when iwant to be a cafone (gavone in american italian). a piece of bread also works if there's no spoon.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaghetti