"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-04-2005, 03:32 AM   #11
Master Chef
LOL ... Zereh, it seems that every time someone comes up with a "sugar substitute" ... "someone" comes up with a "scientific" study to prove you'll die from eating it. Of course, you probably don't know enough about chemistry to know the study is flawed ... if you even care to read the research paper .... Someone is counting on your ignorance.

Humm .. chlorine .... it's used to bleach four, purify water, etc. ....

I prefer foods that aren't "messed" with .... but sometimes the "science" is like statistical math ...... you can twist the facts and prove anything you want.

Bad science is like the little boy crying wolf ... if something actually does prove to be bad for us ... who is going to pay attention?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
Master Chef
I have choices. I can use Splenda, Sacharides, Sugar Alcohols, Sugar, or a host of other sweeteners. Unfortunately, being diabetic, I have to avoid sugar like the plague, and starchy foods as well. And of the artificial sweeteners, Splenda appears to be the safest, most versatile, and best tasting of the lot.

Sugar is very hard on the body, and creates a host of problems. It can even carse people with no history of diabetes to develop the disease. People were far healthier when refined sugar was not yet available to them. A bit of nutrition history research plainly illuminates this fact.

When we refine foods, we remove the healthy componants and concentrate the parts that can lead to many nutrition related problems. Think of it like this. One orange, squeesed, will give you about an 8th cup of orange juice. And that juice will be missing much of the fiber contained in the whole orange. So drinking an 8 ounce glass of orange juice is like eating 8 oranges. And its the same with other refined foods. White flour is stripped of the bran, the germ, and the significant nutritional value contained in those parts. We end up with some of the available protien, and a whole bunch of starch. And starch affects the blood sugar just like refined sugar does.

Eating sugar is not a bad thing, as long as it's the sugar that's found in an apple, or a sweet potato, or cherry. Because the amount of sugar in ratio to the vitamins, fiber, minerals, isoflavones, etc. is nominal. You get real nutritional value, and nutrients that promote health and vitality. Sugar by itself stresses the body, especially the pancrease and nervous system. It creates insullin swings that trigger fat production and a loss of energy due to the powerful hormone. You end up fatigued and stressed.

I've done the homework, studied the books, talked for countless hours with nutritionists and my doctor.

Excess sugar is harmful to the human body, period. And it doesn't much matter whether its fruictose, glucose, lactose, honey, or plain old sucrose (table sugar), it causes a rapid rise in blood sugar and triggers the release of too much insulin. It hurts you. The sugar alcohols also create a rise in blood sugar, but not quite as quickly. And starch starts converting into simple sugar before it hits the stomach.

Yes sugar is the bodies main fuel. But it has to enter the bloodstream slowly, and in sufficient quantity to power the machine, not flood it.

There. Now I'll step away from the soapbox.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote