"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Irish Soda Bread.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #12
Head Chef

We will probably do the corned beef with cabbage, taters, carrots and onions.

We do it on St. Patty's day and look forward to the traditional fare.

But if you want something different can always serve the meat with neeps and tatties.

Neeps are smashed or mashed rutabagas or Swedes, as they are called. And tatties are similarly done potatoes.

Usually served fairly dry, one could always add some butter and cream or milk and make them much more smooth. Could add the two together, it makes a nice dish. Or make the tatties with added sweet taters, a very good combination.

Yes I know that neeps and tatties are more Scottish than Irish, but both are Gaelic, and after all Patty is a saintl, and I doubt if he would mind.

Love to cook the cabbage, shredded, with lots of butter as has been stated. Can always add some Brussel sprouts to the dish. Surprisingly can make sprouts by themselves that way and even confirmed sprout haters love the stuff. Of course some onion cooked bacon, or ham, added to the mixture always helps the flavor.

As for carrots, love to candy them. Are a zillion ways to do it but like to julienne the critters and cook, generally in a bit of water, with some butter, maybe a tad of vermouth, brown sugar or honey and some ginger perhaps. Oh yes, and you have to toss in some dill. Can add other herbs as you wish (this sort of dish I always wing, no recipe. OK, OK, I always wing almost everything.)

Served with a hearty bread and butter, and a wee dram or four of Irish whisky (or Scotch, my genetic preference) and you have yourself a meal that I, as someone definitely not on the short list towards sainthood, believe would make old Patty proud.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I like to have cabbage and rutter-beggar
and maybe an Irish stew... :)
Old 03-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
Master Chef

Take a joint of corned beef - sear it well in some bacon fat - then add enough water to come halfway up the side and braise for 2-3 hours. Then add some potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage - and just enough water to cover all ... bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer ... cook until the vegetables are tender - about 30 more minutes. You now have your meat and sides - cooked in one pot.

Of course - some say to cook your tatties, carrots, onions and cabbage seperately. That's your choice. Some like to include turnips and/or parsnips- that's all up to you. Personally - I like them ... and the more veges in the pot the better IMHO. I would stay away from adding pasta, rice, beans, tomatoes or old shoes.

Serve with Irish soda bread, plenty of butter, salt and pepper. Wash it down with a good Stout, Lager or Ale.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to do a "test dinner" tomorrow for my in-laws and see how it goes. We're planning a big one for the actual day of St. Patricks. I'm going to do corned beef tomorrow, but I'll be trying out Rack of Lamb too before the big day!

Lori

Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #16
Master Chef

I'm with those traditionalists who say that corned beef is cooked WITH its side dishes -- root veggies, onions, and cabbage. It is a one pot meal. I'll go with the bread, but that's about it. Corned beef isn't supposed to be a fancy gourmet type meal. It is supposed to be peasant/comfort food. Don't make life more difficult than it already is. I do wait until the last bit to put in the cabbage, otherwise everything tastes and smells like boiled cabbage. I put the beef, an onion or three, the spice packet it comes with, then double that (i.e., I toss in handfulls of whole peppercorns, allspice, mustard seeds, and a bay leaf or two), and bring to a simmer. After an hour or so I add the potatoes and carrots (and any other root veggies you like). I let this simmer all day (great crock pot meal!), then about a half hour before serving, I put wedges of cabbage on top to steam. I take out all the food and strain the water that it has been stewed in to serve in a gravy boat on the side. Serve with lots of good butter and bread, but you already have your "side dishes". My dad likes a little vinegar on the side when he eats boiled cabbage.

I take a slice of the meat, one each of the veggies, and all the leftover juice and make soup.

Since my husband isn't fond of this meal, I take a couple of slices off the roast before I eat it and make him rueben sandwiches for dinner one night.

I have to ask ... am I the only person who prefers the fattier cuts?