"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Store bought yogurt does not freeze?!?

I like freezing my store bought single portions and then eating them partly thawed. Lately I have been noticing some of the portions don't freeze at all! While the majority are solid. Has anyone run into this and have an explanation.

For the record I toss the ones that don't freeze because I just don't know what is going on.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make my own yogurt, and freeze a couple T for the next starter. I haven't run into non-freezing yogurt.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I make my own yogurt, and freeze a couple T for the next starter. I haven't run into non-freezing yogurt.
I was wondering if the starter would still work if got frozen. That will certainly make things easier. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I caught part of an episode of America's Test Kitchen the other day. They were talking about frozen yogurt and said that freezing it kills the cultures that make it healthier than ice cream.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I caught part of an episode of America's Test Kitchen the other day. They were talking about frozen yogurt and said that freezing it kills the cultures that make it healthier than ice cream.
That's what I was afraid, but Dawg seems to be able to start another batch of yogourt with frozen starter, so it can't be dead. The other reason frozen yogourt is supposed to be healthier than ice cream is that it's lower fat. It's already a lot thicker than cream.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I think you are talking about two different products; fresh yogurt that is being frozen for starter, and the confectionary ice cream knock off.

You can freeze fresh yogurt for starter.
Homemade Yogurt Blog: Freeze Your Yogurt Starter?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theVitc View Post
I like freezing my store bought single portions and then eating them partly thawed. Lately I have been noticing some of the portions don't freeze at all! While the majority are solid. Has anyone run into this and have an explanation.

For the record I toss the ones that don't freeze because I just don't know what is going on.

Thanks
First, Welcome to DC. Second, stop throwing it away, it is fine. I'm sure it has to do with the sugar/fruit content, the fruit mixture does not freeze as solid as straight yogurt does. Since it has been kept at freezing temperatures, it is fine to eat.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank-you PrincessFiona.

That makes perfect sense. Just wanted another opinion.

John
Old 01-25-2016, 02:07 AM   #9
Cook

Question

Remember that the yogurt may develop an acidic taste and a clumpy texture. So you may not feel like eating it directly after freezing it more than a month, but using it in smoothies or baking will give the perfectly normal taste.
Did anyone know about the active bacteria in yogurt? Does freezing yogurt kill the bacteria or there are dangerous?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Austin12 View Post
Remember that the yogurt may develop an acidic taste and a clumpy texture. So you may not feel like eating it directly after freezing it more than a month, but using it in smoothies or baking will give the perfectly normal taste.
Did anyone know about the active bacteria in yogurt? Does freezing yogurt kill the bacteria or there are dangerous?
The freezing doesn't seem to kill all the active bacteria. We were discussing whether or not there was enough active bacteria after freezing to culture more batches of yogourt and people have tried it and it works. The active bacteria in yogourt are actually good for you, unless the yogourt has been contaminated with something nasty. Active nasty ones wouldn't be good for you.