"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Just in case anyone is interested, I have put together a recipe that I will be using. I came up with this thanks to a lot of inspiration from some great food bloggers and amateur chefs (plus you guys of course), but with enough twists to make it my own. I'm using sourdough bread, hot Italian and Andouille sausage, and I'm adding just a little maple syrup to the chicken stock to give it a sweet, fall flavor.

Thanksgiving Sausage & Sourdough Stuffing

I don't really like fruit in my stuffing, but I'm sure it would be great with some apples and dried cranberries if that's your thing.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #32
Head Chef

My stuffing/dressing has eggs in it.
Bread toasted and dried and cubed.
Italian and breakfast sausage cooked
rice cooked, finely chopped celery and onion, cubed apples, turkey broth from giblets and seasonings, chopped mushrooms, sage, rosemary, s&p.
After I've gotten it just the right moistness--gently falling apart, I add a few eggs to hold it together once it is cooked.
(two loaves of wheat bread--6 eggs)
I make them into stuffing balls--large or small and bake them. They are moist on the inside and crusty on the outside. Split them open and add some gravy to serve.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

I was pretty happy with my stuffing sans egg - I really like it loose and in big pieces - but the egg thing is definitely based on how you like it or your tradition.

I have to say, my stuffing was a huge success. The sourdough was excellent, perfect for holding just the right amount of moisture without getting soggy or wet. I never liked stuffing much before, but now I have my own tradition.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
I have to say, my stuffing was a huge success. The sourdough was excellent, perfect for holding just the right amount of moisture without getting soggy or wet. I never liked stuffing much before, but now I have my own tradition.
DC: Saving the world, feeding the hungry, one recipe at a time.

Glad it worked for you.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't use egg before in stuffing/dressing, but now that I have those farm FRESH eggs and they are "free," I have to use them up! (The girls have been hiding clutches--we have been finding clutches of 6-13 eggs in the oddest places...).
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...(The girls have been hiding clutches--we have been finding clutches of 6-13 eggs in the oddest places...).

Depending on how well the girls hid them, they may not be FRESH anymore.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #37
Head Chef

How does a clutch happen?
A. one chicken decides to lay 6 eggs--most unlikely.
B. a bunch of chickens all go lay a bunch of eggs in one unlikely place--'hey chicken lucy loo, over here, we are putting together a clutch'.
C. a bunch of chickens lay eggs and later move them into an unlikely place--'hey chicken licken', we are hiding them here to watch our human caretaker play hide and seek'.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

They aren't sitting on them, the barn is cool (we have hard frost on the ground every morning). The girls are redefining the definition of an Easter egg hunt. FWIW, you can keep eggs for incubation at room temperature for up to 10 days before you start incubating them (some people keep them in the fridge for a week before putting them in the incubator). But no, they are not "FRESH" because FRESH means today, but then, the eggs people buy at the store aren't FRESH today either. The eggs we've found in these clutches have been designated for "dog" eggs, just to be safe.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Blissful--how does it happen? Well, Plymouth Rocks don't lay every day (they take a day off out of 7). The Buff Orpingtons seem to take a day off every so often as well. The Buffs eggs are "pink," and more elongated. So their eggs are obvious. The Rhode Island Reds lay every day. So there are always 11 eggs. That's when the "Easter egg" hunt begins...to see which of the PRs and Buffs laid eggs. The PR eggs are smaller than the RIRs and not pink. They also have a thicker membrane. But yes, maybe it is just they are trying to give us a "game" to play because they follow me around when I go collecting. Perhaps we should move them to the coop and force them to use the nest boxes rather than giving them more space in the barn...They do have nest boxes in the barn, but the coop is smaller and the nest boxes are mounted on the walls. So they would have fewer choices of where to lay eggs...but they like the tractors, the canoe, the rototillers, and their loveseat. I'm too much of a softy to take away their furniture.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

<whispers>

Awk! She found them!
Yes, new place over here.
Bet it takes her more than 3 days to find this one, Awk!
She's looking at us.
Quick! Act like a chicken, Cluck Cluck, Cluck!

Tags
eggs