"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A dishwasher (the appliance, not a person) does a pretty good job of cleaning racks. Gets the goo off of places that are hard to clean by hand.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #102
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
A dishwasher (the appliance, not a person) does a pretty good job of cleaning racks. Gets the goo off of places that are hard to clean by hand.
My dishwasher just broke, and hopefully I'll be able to get a new one soon. If anyone has a recommendation for a good one - the low end price wise - I'm all ears.
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #103
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Depending on whether you're going to use the pan juices or discard them, if the latter then cover the pan with aluminum foil for NO cleaning. When you're done just wad up the foil and throw it away.
Love it! The less cleaning the better. Sometimes I avoid cooking because of how much work it is to clean up afterwards.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #104
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Love it! The less cleaning the better. Sometimes I avoid cooking because of how much work it is to clean up afterwards.
It's always a good idea to give thought to ways to minimize unnecessary work.

Another thing that works for me is to clean while I'm cooking. For example, while I'm reducing a sauce I might clean up some of the dishes I had used for pre-measured ingredients (mise en place) and put them away. On a good day by the time I serve dinner the only dirty dishes, pots and pans are the one I'm serving from.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
It's always a good idea to give thought to ways to minimize unnecessary work.

Another thing that works for me is to clean while I'm cooking. For example, while I'm reducing a sauce I might clean up some of the dishes I had used for pre-measured ingredients (mise en place) and put them away. On a good day by the time I serve dinner the only dirty dishes, pots and pans are the one I'm serving from.
The first thing I do whether I am baking or cooking, is to fill the sink up with hot soapy water. During the three minutes it takes to cream the butter and sugar, I can get a lot washed that have been soaking. By the time the cake is ready to go into the oven, all I have left to wash is the spatula, mixing bowl and my hands.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #106
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
all I have left to wash is the spatula, mixing bowl and my hands.
Now Addie... aren't ya supposed to wash those first?
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Now Addie... aren't ya supposed to wash those first?
I have one of those "hands free" dispensers. I have become obsessive about washing the counter tops and my hands ever since I had the Norovirus. I wouldn't wish that on an ex husband.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #108
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #109
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?

What temperatures did your thermometer read?
How many different spots did you check temps?

It's OK that you take the meat out to check the temps.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #110
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

What temperatures did your thermometer read?
How many different spots did you check temps?

It's OK that you take the meat out to check the temps.
I checked the meat in one spot, the middle of the thigh. At first I put it in too far and actually dented the pan :( After 20 minutes it was 160 and at 30 minutes it was 188.
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.