"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Can you buy that somewhere or do you have to make it yourself? I'm not supposed to eat soy in any form - it's too estrogenic.
nope,you can buy it tax,well you can over here.tesco sell it for about $4 for a tube about the size that tomato paste comes in.sounds a lot but you only use a tiny bit.when i google'd it to get the ingredients a load of stuff came up in the states so i'm sure you will be able to.if not,let me know & i'll mail you a tube

Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
I pronounce it "wister" or "wisteh sher" if someone looks at me funny/puzzled for "wister".
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just call it "what's this here sauce?"
well now you know ladies,i'll learn yer to talk proper like wot we does over 'ere!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
well now you know ladies,i'll learn yer to talk proper like wot we does over 'ere!
I'm fairly sure I could do all right on me own... I watched My Fair lady...
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm fairly sure I could do all right on me own... I watched My Fair lady...
you need to get out more pf................
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
you need to get out more pf................
That's what I keep telling Shrek...but does he listen???
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
nope,you can buy it tax,well you can over here.tesco sell it for about $4 for a tube about the size that tomato paste comes in.sounds a lot but you only use a tiny bit.when i google'd it to get the ingredients a load of stuff came up in the states so i'm sure you will be able to.if not,let me know & i'll mail you a tube

You can buy it at gourmet and specialty stores.

I bought a tube because it has all the right umami ingredients in it (tomato, anchovy, mushroom, etc) but it's waaaaay to sweet, IMO.

I think the addition of sugar is a big mistake, as one would generally be using it in savory cooking. If the user wants to, they can always add sugar to whatever they are cooking, but the sweet flavor of the paste affects how you can use it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

I bought a tube because it has all the right umami ingredients in it (tomato, anchovy, mushroom, etc) but it's waaaaay to sweet, IMO.

I think the addition of sugar is a big mistake, as one would generally be using it in savory cooking. If the user wants to, they can always add sugar to whatever they are cooking, but the sweet flavor of the paste affects how you can use it.
Thanks for the warning about sweetness. I'm really not a fan of sweet with my savoury. I guess I'll look for a recipe to make it myself.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #58
Master Chef

After cookign for my family for 30+ years, and having an engineering mind, and a good bit of science background, I experimented, read, challneged what others have said, and recorded results. Here's what I have found.

Roasting/baking at high temperatures, 425 - 450'F. results in crisper skin. A meat thermometer is used to determine when the deepest part of the meat reaches 155'F. Let the chicken rest for 10 to 15 mintues and it will come to a final temp of 165'F, which results in tender, juicy meat. The chicken cooks fast at high temperature, so start checking it after 30 minutes or so.

Roasting at moderate temperatures gives herbs and spices a chance to flavor the meat. The skin is still crisp, but not crunchy. Longer cooking time is required. Again, pull the chicken out when the thermometer reads 155'F and let it rest.

Low temp roasting/baking is done at temps ranging from 290 to 325' F. This is done when you want to extend the cooking time to really get external flavors into the meat. Don't count on crisp skin. Often, chicken cooked this way is steamed in an oven bag, or placed in a pot with a lid, with other veggies added to the pot or bag. This creates a kind of chicken stew. for this chicken, the meat thermometer should read between 180 and 190', and the meat should literally fall from the bone. You get moist, and flavorful meat with this method, and the chicken broth flavors the other foods cooked with it. Often, the skin is removed when cooking chicken this way.

Another way of cooking chicken (preferred in my house) is to bring the cut up bird up to room temperature. Dry it with paper towels. Coat with egg wash, dredge in seasoned flour. Shake off excess flour. Fry in 360' oil until lightly browned on both sides. Move pieces to a foil-lined baking sheet, and bake for 40 minutes at 350' F. The chicken has a lightly crisped skin, is not greasy, and is so juicy that when you bite it, it squirts you. I sometimes change the coating method by dredging in seasoned flour, then egg wash, then in panko bread crumbs, frying, then baking. Add coconut to the panko bead crumbs for another take on this classic chicken.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Quote:
Thanks for the warning about sweetness. I'm really not a fan of sweet with my savoury. I guess I'll look for a recipe to make it myself.
good morning
i guess that there are different manufacturers recipes which may account for the sweetness thing.i haven't detected any sweetness in the brand i buy.it's a laura santtini preparation & the ingedients are:
Tomato Puree,Garlic ,Anchovy Paste (Anchovies, Salt, Sunflower Oil) ,Black Olive ,Balsamic Vinegar ,Porcini Mushrooms ,Parmesan Cheese ,Olive Oil ,Vinegar ,Sugar ,Salt.
don't know if its the same in the states but over here the printed list of ingredients starts with the highest proportion 1st & the lowest last.in this one the sugar content is next to last.there are some naturally "sweet" ingredients in there too-tomato puree,balsamic vinegar & parmesan all have sweet notes so,again,i guess it depends on the individual mix for that brand.
got all the ingredients in the cupboard so might just try making some myself too tax!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #60
Sous Chef

Good news. Raising the oven temperature and coating the chicken thighs with olive oil seems to be working but sometimes the meat is a bit dry. Any suggestions on how to get the meat a bit more tender?