"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
The best way to cook corn on the cob?

Hi everyone!

As a lifelong vegetable hater who has suddenly become conscious that I am getting very little nutrition from my eating habits, I have been looking for ways to prepare veggies that might make them more appealing to me. I do recall having grilled corn on the cob a few times and genuinely enjoying it; an experience which has never been recreated by boiling it on the stove.

However, I don't have easy access to a grill. Does anyone know which method of cooking corn most closely emulates that grilled flavor? Tips about seasoning would also be most appreciated.

jennymp03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, jenny. Welcome to DC. You will get plenty of answers to your question here. In the meantime, here's a discussion about cooking corn on the cob.

Off the top of my head, I don't have an answer for you. Be patient, others will be able to help.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef
There is always fried corn on the cob, but the very fact it is served in barbecue restaurants says it can't be very healthy. It is delicious, though.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook
corn on the cob

I really enjoy boiled corn on the cob. As long as I put lots of butter or margarine on the corn it tastes delicious, at least to me.

Sometimes you can sprinkle flavor such as chili powder or paprika to add spice to the flavor. Or use lime-chili sauce and sprinkle it on. Though this isn't for everybody.
Food is awesome!
Asian Kitchen Recipes
Lady DeWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Do you have access to a grill pan? Other than that, I would suggest steaming your corn to keep the nutritional value (vitamins), since you dont like boiled corn. I like my corn simple, with only butter and a bit of salt, no other seasonings to mask the sweet corn flavor.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Miss Jenny...Without a grill it will be hard at best to reproduce the flavor of grilled corn. In addtion to the excellent ideas already presented, you may give microwaving a try.
It is a proven method that many people enjoy.

Have Fun!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I really love nuked corn on the cob. It doesn't taste grilled of course, but it tastes much fresher and much more flavorful than boiled corn. I do it like this - buy corn still in the shucks and then just nuke them for 4 minutes per ear. (If you are doing 3 ears, then it needs 12 minutes, 4 ears - 16 minutes etc.). You don't need to soak them or anything else. Then get them out with an oven mitt and while holding them in the mitt, use dishtowel or paper towel or something and peel off the shucks and silks. (The corn is very hot so you need protection on both hands.) They come off very easily with this method. Then season and/or butter as desired. I love this because there is no mess and in 4 minutes, you can be munching corn! HTH
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
Thanks everyone! You've all given me some interesting ideas.

The fried corn sounds delicious. As a Southerner, I pretty much like anything fried... :) The microwave method sounds interesting and simple, so I'll try it next and see how it goes. I never knew you could microwave corn!
jennymp03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Jenny, glad you're trying to eat healthier, but other than protein and iron, corn has very little nutritional value. Try and eat more of the greener-type veggies like spinach, broccoli, chard, etc.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
You can also wrap it in aluminium foil and bake it in the oven or put it on the bbq (in foil). Boiling is pretty fast and easy but it can lose a bit of flavour, so butter and salt are great additives although not terribly good for you!

Anthea is offline   Reply With Quote