"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

So true Jabbur! I just forgot to mention it. A friend of mine has a bakery, and I went to her today to order a cake. It's SO cool! At first I picked out a cake that looked like a circular piece of wood. It was really cool and unique. She led me to an even better cake. It looks like a tree stump, with chocolate icing for bark. It'll have a space in it where his name will be 'carved out'. And a big ole 45 on the top of the cake! I'm really trying to make it nice-yeah, believe it. That flipping cake was EXPENSIVE! But, it will be the most original cake he's ever had. This woman is a cake artist! She is awesome! And they taste heavenly, too.

Like I said. I'll post pics! Y'all will definitely want to see this cake, I just know it.

Thanks again! I'm definitely doing a cold 'n' crunchy! No doubt about it.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Cook

Happy Birthday to the Mister!Sounds like you got some terrific ideas and don't need my two cents worth. You could always add some corn and red bell peppers and even chopped fresh jalepeno to a green salad to make it more a Mexican themed one with a chili lime vinagrette.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

Amy, this sounds like a great party - I know your husband will be surprised and happy.Welcome to DC - wow, look at all the great suggestions you got to your very first question!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Amy, this sounds like a great party - I know your husband will be surprised and happy.Welcome to DC - wow, look at all the great suggestions you got to your very first question!

I KNOW! Isn't that great?! And such handy ideas! I think my husband is on to me. But, I refuse to let him out of it. Even if he is protesting. He's an ole fogie sometimes. I just have to over look him! Because he'll end up having a great time and enjoying the attention once it's up and running!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I love what has been suggested already. It dosen't have to be a budget buster but a good presentation can make a BIG difference. for example if you were going to have a chili bar with different sides, make sure that the choices are in similar bowls and arranged nicely. With the sides maybe make individual items (muffis) as opposed to cutting it out of a larger peice - just look nicer
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

If you would still like suggestions I was thinking you might start with deep fried potato skins with melted cheddar and bacon bits then serve the chili and bread. Just a thought. The potato skins are always a hit whenever I've seen them served.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinNow View Post
If you would still like suggestions I was thinking you might start with deep fried potato skins with melted cheddar and bacon bits then serve the chili and bread. Just a thought. The potato skins are always a hit whenever I've seen them served.

Jeff
Mmm.. Sounds good.. :)
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Senior Cook

AmyChelle, I love chili with rice, and corny cornbread made with green chilis and whole kernel corn. (And don't forget a cute nightie. Food is not the only way to a man's heart.)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Oooooh, this sounds like fun! I agree with the others, make it into a chili bar with tortillas, cheese, onions, guac, sour cream, sliced jalapeno's and olives. You could also use tostada shells and use for bowls :o)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
You could also use tostada shells and use for bowls :o)
On a plate that is, lol