"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Time Intensive Recipes

My girlfriend and I like to spend our saturdays making a really good meal that takes hours to make and like to do as much as we can from scratch. We will do multiple courses or make our own pasta noodles by hand while cooking the sauce and such. Does anyone know of any cookbooks or sites that offer recipes of this type? Are there any keywords that I can type in to a Google search? I try the word "gourmet" but that doesn't really help. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Jolie, and welcome to DC.

I'd suggest that you two go to your local Barnes and Noble bookstore, sink into those nice chairs there, buy yourselves a coffee, and go through the cookbook section. It's one of my favorite things to do. I recently looked at "The French Laundry" by Johnathan Keller, and I think it would be right up your alley.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

If you want labour intensive but good gourmet food, I would suggest any of Gordon Ramsay's books. This is NOT a Ramsay slam - he has some great stuff, but it is not your "get home from work and slap dinner together" fare.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Cupcake

What a fun idea!

Could you share some of the things you have made?

Kayelle's idea of looking through the cookbook sections is a good one. Another could be looking at your grandmother's collection if it is available. Many of those books would tell you how to make the stock they expect you to use.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Jolie, and welcome to DC.

I'd suggest that you two go to your local Barnes and Noble bookstore, sink into those nice chairs there, buy yourselves a coffee, and go through the cookbook section. It's one of my favorite things to do. I recently looked at "The French Laundry" by Johnathan Keller, and I think it would be right up your alley.
Isn't that Thomas Keller? Maybe he has a pen name.LOL

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Isn't that Thomas Keller? Maybe he has a pen name.LOL
Whoops, you are so right 4m, it is Thomas Keller, with the French Laundry cookbook. thanks. What a book that is!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
If you want labour intensive but good gourmet food, I would suggest any of Gordon Ramsay's books. This is NOT a Ramsay slam - he has some great stuff, but it is not your "get home from work and slap dinner together" fare.
I was searching around once, and did notice he does have some books out there that is geared towards getting good food together fast.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I was searching around once, and did notice he does have some books out there that is geared towards getting good food together fast.
As I said, I was not making any negative statements about Ramsay. I should have qualified further. My friend and her husband work different shifts and when they do get a day together they like to plan a special dinner they do together. I gave her one of Ramsay's books for her birthday last year and they have made several meals (some successful, some not). They plan the meal, each taking a part of it, shop together for their ingredients and take much of the day prepping and then finishing the meal. They love doing this!

I can't remember the name of the book, but I know it didn't say anything about fast though you are right, I have heard he has written a couple like that!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Master Chef

Julia Child's old French cookbook is an oldie but goodie in this regard. I haven't looked it up, but almost any recipe for cassoulet, boeuf bourgonion, coq au vin would really fit the bill, especially this time of year when hearty, body-and-soul-warming meals are great. The beef and chicken dishes can be eaten with the home-made pasta or a good crusty loaf of bread (which can be purchased or home made), all with an elegant salad and desert of choice. They are great company meals that can be stretched to feed any number of guests, packaged after dinner and frozen, or brought to friends who for whatever reason cannot cook much.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

I think what you are looking for is, as I mentioned with my friends, not necessarily recipes that are a lot of work only, but ones that you can do together that stretch your cooking knowledge and give you something fantastic to show for your efforts (and enjoy eating of course). I think any of the "renowned" chefs like Julia Child, Ramsay, etc. (not Food Network chefs necessarily but classic chefs) are good for this.

Also look for cultural cookbooks that not only explain how to make a dish but give the origins and other interesting info. For me, this hightens the experience of the meal.